DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this belongs in here or not, but it has to do with the towing package so here goes.

I just bought a 2018 RAM 1500. It came with the Hopkins 7-blade/4 flat connector that is mounted to the left of the tag above the hitch. When I'm not towing, I have a black skull in the hitch that plugs into the 4 flat connector and lights up when the brakes are pressed. With the Hopkins connector being above the hitch, I can't plug the skull into the 4 flat. I can buy an extension, run it out out the back of the hitch and pull it around the front of the bumper and plug it in connector but that looks like sh*t because the extension is visible. There has to be some sort of T-connector that can be plugged into the back of the Hopkins connector behind the bumper with a 4 flat that drops down right behind the hitch. Any suggestions? I can't be the only person that has run into this with the Hopkins connector placed where it is.

Thanks
Jesse

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Curt has the T connector you want.. The wire is fairly long so you can get it almost anywhere you want ! I use mine for the Light up RAM head in my hitch !

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ram/1500/2014/C56584.html

If you go to your local auto part store they sell a lot of different type connectiors you may find works for you
Just splice them in

I got the one that has 5 plugs, so now I have a 4 pin ,7 pin and 5 pin,, I plugged extra hole with a plastic plug to keep crude out !

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curt has the T connector you want.. The wire is fairly long so you can get it almost anywhere you want ! I use mine for the Light up RAM head in my hitch !

https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ram/1500/2014/C56584.html

If you go to your local auto part store they sell a lot of different type connectiors you may find works for you
Just splice them in

I got the one that has 5 plugs, so now I have a 4 pin ,7 pin and 5 pin,, I plugged extra hole with a plastic plug to keep crude out !
Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for, just couldn't find it. I wasn't sure which connector I needed. I didn't want to splice any wires because that only leads to failure down the road. Thanks Rado!!!

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for, just couldn't find it. I wasn't sure which connector I needed. I didn't want to splice any wires because that only leads to failure down the road. Thanks Rado!!!

Your welcome, Just find your truck and it is plug and play ! I got the 5 plug just in case,, Also get a small tube of Dielectric grease .
You get a pretty long pig tail with the connector and some wire ties,

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I used this one so I could leave my tailgate lite bar plugged in when I have my TT hooked up. check on Amazon.
Curt Manufacturing CURT 55384 Custom Wiring Connector

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used this one so I could leave my tailgate lite bar plugged in when I have my TT hooked up. check on Amazon.
Curt Manufacturing CURT 55384 Custom Wiring Connector
What tailgate light bar did you go with? I've been looking at a couple different ones and want to make sure whichever one I purchase also has the white LEDs to use while backing up.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
Do the tailgate light bars block the hole for lowering the spare on the 2500 Ram
Carol from all I have read yes it does cover the hole to lower the spare !In one post someone put a row of magnets on the light bar so when needed pops off easy :) Not sure of any othere way to mod the bar as I have not picked one up yet

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL I hear you . I picked up these plugs to cover the 5th hole to keep crude out !

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-16-inch-...lug+qt(10)&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313
And I add Dielectric grease to all holes ! You can also put a dab of silicone in the hole
Yeah, I'll pick up some of the grease from one of our local auto shops around here. Probably order the plugs also.

Do the tailgate light bars block the hole for lowering the spare on the 2500 Ram
Carol1, I thought about that yesterday when I looked at where I would place the light bar and I think they will on my 1500 at least.

·
Registered
139 Posts
mine partially blocks the hole. the plastic insert will come out without much fuss, I chose to leave my light bar lower, so it is dead center and can easily be seen. there is enough room that I could have mounted it a little higher and gave even more room for lowering the spare, but in my case I cant use the spare tire cavity anyway. its all about customizing and what you like. I also opted for the "splitter" in case there is an issue with any LED's that might quit over the years. I still have enough room to lower a spare anyway. good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes everyone is right.the op7 light strip does have clips the plastic piece removes and with a little planning you can mount it just high enough to use spare tire crank and it is still very visible i hard wired mine making connections behind tail lights to help keep connections out of the weather. price wasn't that bad on amazon and the end result is definitely worth it if you're looking for tow mirrors op 7 can hook you up 1/2 the price factory and even the spot portion is heated. I just need to get puddle lights programmed on mine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts