DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first Ram and I'm trying to get the trailer lights working. It had a round 7 pin connector with only 4 wires coming out of it. It was wired to a power converter box right behind rear bumper with a constant 12v from the battery but I was not getting power past the box. All of the factory plastic connectors for the tail lights were corroded and the pins broke when I pulled them apart so I spliced everything together

I now have a flat 4 pin connector spliced into the the tail lights, turn signals ect. I tested each wire with a test light to find the right ones. I can't get the right tail light or left turn signal working, everything else works. Does this truck need that power converter for everything to work? If not can you guys think of anything else I can try?

Thanks for your time!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I don't know if it will work for you, but they make a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
4 pin connectors are usually for vehicles with integral turn signals and stop lights.

Brake and turn signal are the same light...not that they use separate bulbs like red for
stop and amber for turn.Yours should be controlled:

One wire controls the left brake and stop.
One wire controls the right brake and stop,

No you don't need the converter box. That's used if the turn and brake lights are separate. What you're describing is a setup someone had for a trailer with independent stop and turn signals. So whoever had the truck probably had a newer trailer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter, that didn't help. Sounds like maybe I have my wiring wrong. I've only wired 1 other truck and I was able to use the plug and play kit.

Right now I have white-ground, brown-left side tail light wire, yellow-left turn wire, green-right turn wire. Each wire lights the test light correctly.

What did I miss?
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted to add, the trailer lights work correctly on another vehicle. So I know I have something wrong, just not sure what.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts