DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently installing a set of train horns on my '10 1500 crew cab. I put the compressor under the rear driver side seat, but I need to figure out a way to run the air line that goes from the compressor to the tank out of the cab.... What is the best way to do this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
That compressors gona be quite loud inside the cabyou could mount it in the bed or under the hood like I did but if you wanta go this route best way would be run the line under the carpet cut a hole in the carpet under the rear seat so the line can come up thru the carpet then drill a hole barely bigger than the line...add a gromet for a air tight fit

·
Registered
82 Posts
P.s. Hole should be drilled under rear seat on the back of.the back of the cab....be careful not to go to deep into the bed and dont worry if u ever wanted to take it.out u could always add alittle rubber plug (chances r ur truck already has one from the factory

·
Registered
666 Posts
X2 on the noise, those little compressors are loud! I have mine mounted in the bed (see below) and it's still pretty loud in the cab when the compressor kicks in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't want to mount the compressor in the bed because I don't have a cover so it would e exposed. Where and how did you mount yours in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
85 Posts
you can also get rid of your spare tire and mount it back there ive seen it mounted there on my buddys truck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow, those compressors are a little bigger than I thought if they're all as big as the one pictured above. Where is there room to mount that in the engine compartment? The installation side of these is what's prevented me from buying one.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't want to mount the compressor in the bed because I don't have a cover so it would e exposed. Where and how did you mount yours in the engine compartment?
Keep in mind that any quality air system can safely be mounted in the bed, under the truck, etc.and exposed to the elements without any problem. You just need to make sure you extend the air intake and filter to a clean, dry location.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I am thinking of doing this on mine and putting it in the RAMBOX :gy:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Best way to install train horns is to have the compressor/tank in the bed and the horns in the cab.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Best way to install train horns is to have the compressor/tank in the bed and the horns in the cab.
:LOL: I'd feel just a little bad if he actually followed that advice! Really funny though! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
X2 on the noise, those little compressors are loud! I have mine mounted in the bed (see below) and it's still pretty loud in the cab when the compressor kicks in.

^^^^ Nice clean installation, great job ! :smileup:

·
Registered
666 Posts
^^^^ Nice clean installation, great job ! :smileup:
Thanks. After that picture I added a piece of angle across the bottom to protect the fittings and connections from stuff I put in the bed, and I'm glad I did. I've had a bunch of stuff end up jammed against it that probably would have broken something by now otherwise!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Train horns on my 2011 sport crew

I mounted mine behind front bumper. There is alot of room behind front bumper of the sport and also there are two frame towers that are pre-drilled and tapped. I made a braket that is mounted to them both and I have my horns, tank and compressor mounted on it nice and tight, cuts down on all the wires and tubing and gets very little exposure to elements. You also do not here the compessor hardly at all when it is filling tank.

·
Registered
135 Posts
these are the pics of how i installed mine, just a suggestion. the tank is mounted on a peice of aluminum with no special bends just cut to fit and bolts directly into the factory hole that are in the frame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the exact same kit from hornblasters. I am going to mount the tank and horns the same way you did. The L-brackets that you used to mount the horns, how did you attach them to the from? Did you threw bolt them? And same with the mount for the solenoid? how did you mount the bracket to the frame?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
these are the pics of how i installed mine, just a suggestion. the tank is mounted on a peice of aluminum with no special bends just cut to fit and bolts directly into the factory hole that are in the frame.
I got the exact same kit from hornblasters. I am going to mount the tank and horns the same way you did. The L-brackets that you used to mount the horns, how did you attach them to the from? Did you threw bolt them? And same with the mount for the solenoid? how did you mount the bracket to the frame?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts