DODGE RAM FORUM banner

tranny problems

2K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  djbeck88 
#1 ·
I no longer can get my truck out of my driveway. I changed the tranny fluid today and drove it around the block and it was slipping, checked fluid, was a quart low. added a quart into it and drove around the block again. halfway around the block, Nothing. Total loss of the tranny. No reverse, no drive, no nothing. I was able to coast back to the driveway and pull the new codes I was throwing. This is what I got.

P0876-UD PRESSURE SWITCH SENSE CIRCUIT
p0731-GEAR RATIO ERROR 1ST
P0732-GEAR RATIO ERROR 2ND

Smoke was rolling out of the dipstick. so I have no idea whats up. The junkyard has one but its a $1000 plus exchange and I dont have that layin around right now. Any idea.

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Okay well the whole story. Last weekend I got brave in her. Me and a few buddies were at the lake playin in the mud. My buddy found a big hole. He runs 37's and 12" of lift. He kept calling me out on it and so I finally took a shot and hit the hole. I made it through with out a problem. Now the problems started the next morning. I went to run to the store and my tranny got stuck in "limp mode" I only had 2nd and 3rd. When I got home I checked my fluid and It had a little water in it. So that is why I changed it. I didnt flush it though As I figured Id change it again in a week or so.After I changed it, I drove it around the block. Had tons of slippage. So I check the fluid, and It was a quart low. Added the quart in. Ran it through the gears in the driveway. Fluid was good. Drove it around the block again. This time about halfway around the block i hear a squeal and then nothing. No 1st, 2nd, 3rd, D, or Reverse. Now before I changed the fluid, I was getting these CEL's. P0988, P0876 P0841. I changed the fluid and am not getting the ones stated above.

The sump filter seal I belieave is push in all the way. I was thinking about doing a complete flush now and checking all the filters to see if that helps. Do you think its even worth it? or should I just prepare for a new tranny.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
How much do you think it would cost the shop to rebuild it? Ive never messed with a transmission and I really dont want to lol. Unless all that stuff is right there and easy to get to.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
And it is crazy how just a few seconds of fun can cost thousands. The local junk yard has a tranny for $1000 plus exchange. and I found a few places online that will ship them for $600ish. Im tore and I dont know what to do now.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
It was including r&r. But I ended up maminf mine work. Tore it back apart and the seal for the flat filter was tore and not seated all the way. So we flushed it and put it all back together. Now its fixed.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
nevermind on the fixed part.Drove it all day today. Probably put 30 miles without a problem. On my way home from work, going up a small hill, I lost all tranny. stopped on the side of the road, checked my fluid and it was right in between the hot holes. Now beings I was on a hill, when I put it in park, it rolled back so I had to set my e brake or else it was just rolling while in Park. Jumped back into it, and it took off for maybe another 200 ft. I had enough momentum to roll into my driveway. went to put it into park and there is a grinding noise. Just like if it wont engage all of the way. No CEL's or anything now. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.