DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I had front axle shaft seals replaced yesterday on my 99 ram from trans shop. they also said my tranny was doing good for 100,000 miles. now I've had no issues with tranny until I took it in for the seals. I would hope this is unrelated. everything was great until I drove about 50 miles, pull up to a stop light and take off. so my rpm shot up to 3,000 before it shifted out 1st, next light same deal, but at 2500 I let of gas and tapped it again and it upshifted once I got up to about 40-50mph everything seems fine. when I slowed down for the next light at about 10mph the rpm 2000 I got like a pulsating type feeling and then rpms shot back down were they needed to be. during all of this I had no clunking or weird noises coming from tranny. am I looking at some kind of sensor tps,iac, or something or is my problem much worse

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
well the second generation Ram transmissions have had quite a few problems.....
start simple check your fluid my 97 had been doing what yours is doing and it was very low on fluid

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Not to worry you, but it sounds very similar to the problem that just led me to let my 96 go. It needed a tranny rebuild. My buddy, (who is a mechanic ) told me that these trannys are usually good for about 250,000 km then the tranny usulaly needs a rebuild and TC. In my case, it was a solenoid in the valve body (at first). once we replaced that, it worked great for one day and then i had your problem.

Im no mechanic, so the way in which im about to describe my issues may offend those with some more advanced mechanical knowledge!:) when we cracked open the tranny, we discovered that one of the spring (which is under tremendous pressure) that holds the main clutch pack in (the one for first gear i think) had messed up. however it happened, the spring released just enough to misalign the clutch pack thus not allowing the tranny to shift from first any longer.

anyhow, my buddy bought the truck from me as he had the wherewithal to fix the tranny, and sure enough once we stripped her and rebuilt it and had the spring pressed back into place, it all worked out (other than a couple of minor glitches). Now it is running just as good as new.

interstingly to note, that despite the 250,000 km ife span (whoich I had 252,000 km when the tranny blew), there was very little wear on any of the clutch plates and no metal or discolouration in the fluid. the tranny was in really good shape for the 250,000 km life expectancy i have been told they have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took it back 2 days later after they told me my tranny was fine. They hooked it up to their diagnostic said they are getting all kinds of bad readings, and also found metal shavings on the dipstic. I'm no mechanic but when I checked it level was fine, clean as could be didn't smell burnt and I didn't see any shavings just by looking at didpstic like he did. my guess is they didn't check it like they said they did when it was in there 2 days earlier. I guess there is a chance that something could have happened within the 50 miles I drove it after I picked it up. I just wish they wouldn't have blown smoke up my ass. So in a not so sure voice the guy tells me it needs to be rebuilt at 1,400-1,600 and ends the sentence with dodge keeps them in bussiness. after this occurs if you turn it off and leave it sit for awhile its fine again, so I guess the tranny heating up is what is causing the issue thats why I was wondering if it could be a sensor of some kind, or a clog in tranny cooler, throttle cable adjustment, or something minor I just wanted to get some more opinions before I drop the cash for some work that I may be able to do myself. it may verywell need to be rebuilt, and thats fine I just want to make sure thats the root of the problem so it doesn't blow again 1,000 miles after the rebuild. Thanks for the input. Keith

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it back 2 days later after they told me my tranny was fine. They hooked it up to their diagnostic said they are getting all kinds of bad readings, and also found metal shavings on the dipstic. I'm no mechanic but when I checked it level was fine, clean as could be didn't smell burnt and I didn't see any shavings just by looking at didpstic like he did. my guess is they didn't check it like they said they did when it was in there 2 days earlier. I guess there is a chance that something could have happened within the 50 miles I drove it after I picked it up. I just wish they wouldn't have blown smoke up my ass. So in a not so sure voice the guy tells me it needs to be rebuilt at 1,400-1,600 and ends the sentence with dodge keeps them in bussiness. after this occurs if you turn it off and leave it sit for awhile its fine again, so I guess the tranny heating up is what is causing the issue thats why I was wondering if it could be a sensor of some kind, or a clog in tranny cooler, throttle cable adjustment, or something minor I just wanted to get some more opinions before I drop the cash for some work that I may be able to do myself. it may verywell need to be rebuilt, and thats fine I just want to make sure thats the root of the problem so it doesn't blow again 1,000 miles after the rebuild. Thanks for the input. Keith

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I thought i read something in the forumz about removing the check valve in the cooler line. i think that was causing some issues in these trannys....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. Its a long shot but I may fixed it I replaced the tps, and iac a few days earlier for some idling issues and I read that these can also sometimes cause erratic shifting, cold and in a hurry didn't even think to undo - bat cable so computer could re learn. so I did that yesterday then drove about 70 miles around town highway,backroads, hills far enough to try to get it do what it was doing which was about 20 miles more than the previous time it acted up. like I said its a long shot but it worked last night only time will tell, or a tow truck. is the check valve on the line were it enters the trans cooler? thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts