DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my 95 ram 1500 i want a stronger trans in it. does anyone know if i can swap out the 46rh for the 47rh with little or no mods?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont believe the belhousing will bolt up to your motor. 47's & 48's bolt to a Cummins or V-10's. What are you trying to accomplish? Just to keep from changing your trans with every oil change or are you trying to turn 44" mudders or pull a 12,000 lb trailer? Our dear 46RH transmissions dont fail from overworking they just come apart internally weather they are grocery getters or hard core workers. Your '95 may have a part in the trans cooler line that wont allow fluid to move while truck is in park and that must go. Most agree heat is the enemy to any trans but till your goes drive drive drive!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What i am going for is a stronger trans behind my 5.9 because i just rebuilt it .030 over and I am putting in a hotter cam with some valve work done to the heads. The 46 in it now is startin to go so I either need to rebuild or get a stronger trans in it. I would imagine that i could fit a 47 or 48 behind it because the 10 cyl engine is basicly a 5.2 with 2 extra cylinders

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to know if this is possible also. I would like to tow with my Ram and she has the 46. Maybe there is a way to upgrade the internals to 47 standards? Anyone know the differences between the two so I know what to purchase?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know there is an upgrade that u can do to make the 46 a little better, it has to do with redoing the valves and i think it has some better clutches in it. i seen it in an issue of four wheeler magazine on the long range clunker project. i was wondering on the 47 because it has the same gear ratio minus reverse, but it just has some stronger gears in it thats y i was wondering about if anyone knew if the swap was capable with little or no mods.

·
Banned
885 Posts
I have looked into the viper tranny, I wished they just sold the parts, so I could go get them installed local, I feel like that would be cheaper than buying it from them assembled. There is a transmission shop around my area that builds trannys for NHRA people, and specialize in performance trannys not just rebuilding them commercially, and they said that they could rebuild mine into a "bullet proof" and performance tranny for 1600, that sound to good to be true to anyone?

·
Banned
885 Posts
Yeah right after I posted I continued scrolling down and was like crap..haha Ill have to take down a list of those parts and give that shop a call and see how much they would charge for install. I would also be interested in seeing if they could upgrade the kickdown lever to the ratio the hemi trannys use. Be nice to have that extra bump on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts