DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All second post about this I am an older fella I restore antique John Deere tractors.
I bought this truck in 7/27/17 it is a 2500 Laramie 4x4 6.4 Hemi eng
I bought the truck from Rocket Town Dodge in Lompoc Ca.
loved the truck but when towing a 14000 lb trailer in tow haul going down grade step on brake a couple times it downshifts as it should , but when grade levels out and you accelerate again it will not shift up the only way to get it to shift up is slip gear selector into neutral then back to drive. shifting out of tow haul does nothing either?
so I took the truck in to Dealer and they flashed the computer?? They said it was good to go.
Last month I hauled a small tractor from Wash state home here to Ca lots of grades and it never worked !
So I took it back to Rocket town there manager said the tech on transmission needed more classes so I should take it to Santa Maria Dodge in the next town.
So I did explained everything to them and no prob they said and about a half hour later it was done I asked what they found and they said oh we just flashed it
and if that does not help to load the trailer bring it in so we can see what is happening?
So I have to load tractor on trailer drive to find a steep grade with tech ridden shotgun I am saying there has to be another way!
Any thoughts? I am not happy
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Sounds like a control system bug.
Have you tried manually shifting it (down) using the ERS switches, before the trans downshifts by itself, and then tapping it back up?
If that doesn't work, I'd just pop it into Neutral when you reach the bottom of the grade (and then back to Drive). That's easier than hassling with dealers who obviously can't fix it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Hogwash. You shouldn't have to put it into neutral to fix anything. Go back and tell them to fix the truck!!! Ask them to call the dealer rep and open a Star Case on this problem...............Or give me a new truck. How much did this truck cost????? Exactly. RAM needs to fix this truck.....Refund money.......Or REPLACE truck. Period.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Hogwash. You shouldn't have to put it into neutral to fix anything. Go back and tell them to fix the truck!!! Ask them to call the dealer rep and open a Star Case on this problem...............Or give me a new truck. How much did this truck cost????? Exactly. RAM needs to fix this truck.....Refund money.......Or REPLACE truck. Period.
Good luck with that.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely be willing to listen to the dude who engineered transmissions for Chrysler

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
On my 2014 RAM 3.6/8 speed, they were on the 2nd valve body to fix the 1-2 RPM flair up. Next step was a new transmission. Next step was Lemon law........and they agreed. Thankfully the 2nd VB fixed the problem.
..........and you still shouldn't have to flip it to neutral to fix anything. Period.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have a 2017 crew cab laramie with the hemi. Love the truck, only complaint is my past chevrolet trucks have a more smoother shift pattern. Drove my buddies 2017 laramie and no difference. My opinion is ram needs to do more home work on their transmissions .....

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have a 2017 crew cab laramie with the hemi. Love the truck, only complaint is my past chevrolet trucks have a more smoother shift pattern. Drove my buddies 2017 laramie and no difference. My opinion is ram needs to do more home work on their transmissions .....

Sorry to hear this, the 8 speed in my 2018 SXT is buttery smooth....

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have never driven another pickup, but I have ridden in plenty, and drove a Chevy Trailblazer before the Ram. I totally agree with you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts