DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I’m getting a low speed shudder in 1st and reverse on my 2003 2500 5.7. Reverse has done it since I’ve owned it (2013 bought at 125k) when reversing hard or backing up a 13k loaded fertilizer trailer but after I got home from towing my Jeep up north first is doing it now too. Truck currently has 170k on it and I’m pretty sure it’s a l/r clutch issue. Is there a way to check solenoids or is clutch failure common on? Shifts and accelerates like normal just has a shudder. (Fluid and filters were changed by me when I bought it with atf+4). Thanks.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It's not your LR clutch. My guess would be either the driveshaft center bearing (if you have a 2-piece rear driveshaft) or the converter.

How fast is the shudder? If it's relatively slow (more like a surge, every half second or so), then it's probably from the converter (and it's normal). The torque output from the converter will pulse somewhat, especially at low (or zero) speeds and high torque levels (like trying to back up a heavy trailer). If you can open the throttle enough to ALMOST move it (but where you're still sitting still) and you feel the pulsation, that's from the converter, and it's normal, there is no fix.

If your shudder only happens at a certain (slow) speed, once you get moving, then I' suspect you're getting movement (wobble) in the driveshaft center bearing. You can record it with a GoPro or similar camera to confirm what's going on. The fix is usually to shim the center bearing to adjust the driveshaft angle. Small changes in the angle can make a big difference in the amount of wobble / shudder you get.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts