DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so, went out to my truck last week and had a fun issue. Truck started normally, shifted into reverse and the truck won’t move. Truck into D/any gear, won’t move. The shifter will only come out of park with the brake despressed, but the shifter itself feels like it has no resistance on it when shifting. I’ve read all the posts about adjusting the shift cable, but they’re all column shift, not consol shift. Where is the shift cable run on our console shift trucks?? I plan to crawl under it tomorrow to adjust the cable and see if the issue is the cable or something in/on the trans.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Is the PRND display on the dash changing as you move the lever? If you're not feeling any resistance or detents, then likely (as you suppose) your cable is broken (or the lever on the trans is stripped).

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
If the cable is held onto the linkage via a plastic part - ie. if the cable end just pushes into the plastic part that is on the linkage - it could just be a worn/broken plastic clip/bushing.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
The shifter is easy to check out

Where you see my CB Radio, there used to be a rubber mat
Take out that mat & any other mats on the console cover
You will find at least 3 screws, ( note that one of the screws is a different color, it goes back in the same hole )

It has been a long time since i had my console apart, so i don't recall much else

Open both console storage lids & lift from the rear, in the images you will notice that there are clips along both sides

At the bottom of the shift handle, there is a chrome piece, when you pry down that collar, the shift handle comes off

Notice in pix #3, next to the D position, there is a Pinkish plastic thing, that is
a PARK safety Release
You will see a rectangular piece of plastic just above it, notice the last pix, you can pry it up to access the pinkish thing
CAUTION !!!
SET your Emergency Brake before you go any further.

Now, using a small straight slot screw driver, press lightly down on the pinkish thing & move the shift handle into the R or N position
The vehicle will now be in the Neutral gear, that would allow you or a Tow Truck Driver to move the vehicle without Starting it.
It will also allow the console lid to be lifted straight upwards, once the handle is off & the screws are removed.

I seem to recall that the rectangular ring around the shifter & cup holders comes off. I don't recall if it has to come off or not,

You may find a Youtube video that shows more about the console lid removal, either in a Radio removal video or a video showing how to replace/repair the pinkish thing

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the cable is held onto the linkage via a plastic part - ie. if the cable end just pushes into the plastic part that is on the linkage - it could just be a worn/broken plastic clip/bushing.
Yeah the dash display does not move when the stick moves

1 - 6 of 6 Posts