DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was crusing in the snow with a buddys stock 2015 ram sport. ( I have a 2015 5.7 SLT with several factory adds such as 3.92 diff. 8 speed torqueflite trns, tow package, skids plates, etc etc. )

What i noticed was he has 4WD auto which is in addition to my selection.(2wd/4low/4wdlock)

My understanding is that his truck comes with 4wd auto as a stock feature to the sport model.

Now mechanically i have the same 8 speed, same motor...i believe same gear ratio...

My question i guess is this ...for the 2015..5.7 ...how many transfer cases are available for the 5.7 8 speed transmission(s) and is there more than one type of 8 speed for the 5.7. Or how can i odentify what transfer case i have?

I would like to find out if my current configuration is capable of the 4wd auto and my trim just doesnt permit use of it. Maybe i am overthinking the possibly missed trim adjustment at the factory...Could be a longshot ..but im curious cause i know a stock slt wouldnt be capable.

Reason for the inquiry is the mix of slick roads and clear road conditions i regularily commute is a pain in the ass to run 4wd lock straight time.

Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Aaaaand i just realized that i have the limited slip differential...to which he doesnt...and i am now assuming we definately have different transfer cases....bittersweet i guess as i have the better 2wd traction yet 4wd auto is much more versatile. (If i understand this correctly)

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,201 Posts
I believe there are only two transfer cases available. The Borg Warner 44-44 (which has 4Auto) and the Borg Warner 44-45. Check out the 4x4 section, there's a few threads that detail the difference between the two very well.

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
There is only one type of 8 speed transmission, though I believe different packages would have come with different amounts of heat handling (transmission cooling) packages. No difference unless you're towing max load through Arizona.

The two transfer cases were either the 4 auto or the conventional one. Folks who use their truck off-road a significant amount prefer the conventional one you have, because it's full mesh engagement not clutched. The clutched engagement (even in 4wd lock) is considered less durable and some folks on here have claimed they had to have their auto transfer case replaced in just 15k miles (!)

Ultimately either 4wd system has proven itself quite capable in the right hands, and breakable in the wrong ones :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Aaaaand i just realized that i have the limited slip differential...to which he doesnt...and i am now assuming we definately have different transfer cases....bittersweet i guess as i have the better 2wd traction yet 4wd auto is much more versatile. (If i understand this correctly)
Actually no, you have the more robust transfer case:

You have the 44-45 instead of the 44-44 which is the 4wd auto. Your transfer case will handle a beating where as the 44-45 when pressured hard (IE: snow plow or some real heavy duty off-roading) will melt the clutch disks.

The 4x4 auto doesn't have a true 4x4 lock because of the clutch mechanism.

So to answer your question, no you can't just enable something in the computer to get 4wd auto.

Limited slip is in the rear diff only so it doesn't affect the transfer case.

Sounds like your truck is optioned right.

The advantage to 4wd auto is that will never bind and you never need to think about it. Great for patchy sections of highway. Depends on your driving style and tires. I find myself in 2wd most of the time and only enable 4wd when conditions deteriorate enough to keep going.

·
3,201 Posts
You have the 44-44 instead of the 44-45 which is the 4wd auto.
Pretty sure the 44-44 is the one with the 4auto, not the 44-45.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Does the SLT not come with the 4wd auto? Mine has it and I love it. even though I barely need it. It's a nice have to.
I use it in the winter when I know there might be black ice on the roads or when I go camping and I know I will pull in a gravel lot and need traction. That's actually the main reason, why I have a 4wd.

·
3,201 Posts
Does the SLT not come with the 4wd auto?
Good question, I'd be curious as well. When I was shopping Ram 1500's, they didn't have many SLT's in my area. Most dealers in my area had trucks packaged starting with work truck\ST's, Tradesman, Express, Big Horn, Laramie. Think I saw a few Long Horn's too but not many. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between the Express and Big Horn, which seemed to be where the trucks in my area made the jump from 44-45 to the 44-44 with 4Auto. And I have to agree, I think the 4Auto would be a very useful choice for some in my area when the roads get dicey with ice, sleet, snow, etc. But I'm quite please with my LSD and TCS in these new trucks when in 2wd.

·
Super Moderator
34,650 Posts
I was pretty sure the SLT came with the 4 position t case, the 44-45. The 44-44 is the only other transfer case and is 5 position, with 4 auto.

There are two 8 speeds in the Rams, really three. The 8HP70 is mated to the Hemi and EcoDiesel; and the 8HP45 is its little brother that came with the 2013 Pentastars. For 2014 they added a deeper pan, stronger park prawl, and I think reinforced the clutches (they can modify the 8 speeds under their license agreement with ZF as long as they share the info with ZF), and it is now (as of 2014) called the 845RFE.

They went to the Borg-Warner transfer cases midway through the 2010 model year; before that they used New Venture Gear cases, of which there were both a 4 speed full time and 5 speed full time case. IDK if they were any better or worse, but they gave the same functionality as the BW cases, just a different brand

1 - 10 of 10 Posts