DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing an annoying chugging motion on my RAM 1500 truck when at full stop and slightly release the brake pedal to slowly move forward. I've been told by the dealer that it is a common problem on the dodge caravan, something to do with brake - transmission issues that dodge has not yet been able to fix. Has anyone had this problem on their truck? and could it be something as simple as air in the brake line? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I think what your dealer is referring to is fluctuation in the output torque from the torque converter. Apparently, at very low speeds, it is normal to get some pulsations in the converter output torque, which feels like a surge or bucking. I'm not a converter expert, but I believe this is due to the hydrodynamic flow within the converter. It is apparently present to some extent in all torque converters, but some designs exhibit a higher level of pulsations than others. I think in the case of the Caravans, it's more evident when trying to back up a grade. Do you find that yours is worse on an uphill grade than on flat ground?

In any event, this is probably inherent in the converter design. I doubt that you have a "defective" converter - I suspect they all exhibit similar pulsations under the same conditions. But maybe your dealer could compare yours to a like vehicle, and if yours is significantly worse, perhaps replacing the converter would be the thing to try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks very much for the reply above. I did find out from a mechanic that the chugging motion has to do with the low RPM of newer RAM truck Hemis and the computer system of the truck; it appears that older RAMs do not have this problem. In my 2011 truck, the chugging happens in flats when at full stop and moving forward by just releasing the brake, usually at intersections or in slow bumper to bumper traffic. The mechanic at the dealer mentioned that there is no fix at the moment for this problem, but did mention that they are hearing from other RAM owners with the same issue. With the Dodge Caravans the problems seems to be even more noticeable.

I sincerely hope that Dodge will be able to soon come up with a fix to the computer system, if that indeed is the problem, because at times the chugging gets to be quite annoying. I will ask the mechanic about the converter issue as you kindly point out, although the dealer appeared to be quite convinced that there was no solution to the issue, pointing to another Ram at the shop and stating that he would guarantee that the same problem would be felt with it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
You might try engaging/disengaging the "Hill Start Assist" (you can find it in your EVIC menu). That MAY help a bit. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts