DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow humans,
I have an 09 ram 1500 slt with the tow options, bought it in 13 with 40k miles on it, and now after 48k hard miles (88k miles on odometer) many a smoked tire hard launches and snow/rain drifting sessions my transmission has begun to clunk, when shifting from drive to reverse and when on the highway(top gear) or anytime I have it locked in a selected gear, when you go from deceleration to acceleration you will feel it thud or its like its loose and takes a quarter turn to engage if that makes sense, I noticed a light leak IE the pan is damp but I've never seen a spot under my truck, and I've added fluid with no positive results, I've had the differential opened and it looks like it rolled off the assembly line brand new inside, even the oil was still clean, they also told me it seems like the play is in my transmission, I was wondering what the possibilities of swapping in something more reliable, is the shape of the bell housing something similar to the 5.7? And do they make swap kits for that? I'm not even sure what transmission exactly I have, it allows me to select gears on my steering column and it gives me 5, gears, I assume that means it's the five gears with the converter locked? But I'm not rocket surgeon,
But if anybody can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it,
Just to recap

I'm trying to figure out if I can swap an alternative transmission into my 4.7l without a ridiculous amount of hassle. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,011 Posts
Have you checked your U-joints recently? I helped my son's "clunking" problem go away by replacing the U-joints on his 99 Ram. Just a thought...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts