DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L truck, 90K miles with the 46RE transmission and the factory tow package. The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and driven lightly by this old man (2nd owner since 1999).
Info From my Build Sheet:
ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AHC Trailer Tow Group
DGTS 4-Spd. Automatic 46RE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle.
My question is this:
There seems to be some controversy about the check valve in the transmission line that prevents the torque converter from draining back when the vehicle is shut off. I've done my homework and I'm aware that 46RE transmissions have some inherent weak spots...eg band adjustment sensitive, over-heating,etc. What say you folks? Remove the check valve and let the vehicle run in neutral for a few moments to refill the convertor or not?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L truck, 90K miles with the 46RE transmission and the factory tow package. The vehicle has been meticulously maintained and driven lightly by this old man (2nd owner since 1999).
Info From my Build Sheet:
ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AHC Trailer Tow Group
DGTS 4-Spd. Automatic 46RE Transmission
DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle.
My question is this:
There seems to be some controversy about the check valve in the transmission line that prevents the torque converter from draining back when the vehicle is shut off. I've done my homework and I'm aware that 46RE transmissions have some inherent weak spots...eg band adjustment sensitive, over-heating,etc. What say you folks? Remove the check valve and let the vehicle run in neutral for a few moments to refill the convertor or not?
The torque converter will also have atleast 50% fluid filled, the TC is attached directly to the intermediate shaft and the transmission fluid pump. Anyways, the check valve actually keeps the transmission fluid circulating in one direction. The sensitive thing, that's only when adjusting you want to be very precise with that. Anyways make this easy for you I have the service/rebuild manual for that transmission as I have a 46RH. Anyways send me your email address and I'll send you a PDF of the manual. It will better inform you about the transmission, check valve, and it will tell you step by step how to even rebuild this transmission with illustrations etc...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ramvan2500, could you send me the build sheet for the 46rh please? I have a 1994 ram 1500 with the 46rh and I'm looking to replace or remove the tranny check valve. Thanks in advance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts