DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...new to the forum. Quick question, I can't locate the transmission dipstick in my 2016 Ram 5.7 2x4 Big Horn. By all accounts it should be near back left of the engine near the air intake. I can't find anything on there being an option to not have one.

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
It is not "sealed" any more than any other transmission is, it just doesn't have a dipstick. People hear "sealed" and think that its a disposable transmission that can't or is not supposed to be serviced; which is incorrect and that misinformation needs to be squashed. It is just as serviceable as any other transmission (I've done it):

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=235182

The fluid level of the 8 speed is not checked by a dipstick, once it is between 86 and 122 degrees fahrenheit you can check the fluid level. This is done at the fill hole on the passenger side of the transmission body. When the plug is removed there should be a slow trickle of fluid, which will let you know it is full.

If it makes you feel better the 8 speeds also have a low fluid level indicator light that will pop up on the dash if it is low, but to be honest I do not understand why this seems to bother some people so much. Transmissions can't really consume fluid like engines can if oil slips past the rings or the water jacket becomes perforated. They can leak but that's easy to spot.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Per the owners manual

Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed
Transmission
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at
the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the
life of the vehicle.
Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. How-
ever, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes
contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is
disassembled for any reason.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,458 Posts
Per the owners manual

Transmission
life of the vehicle.
There it is. I believe heavy towing requires a fluid change. I don't tow so not an issue for me.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Per the owners manual

Transmission
life of the vehicle.
That is fine if all you want to do is preserve the warranty for the 5 years or 100,000 miles (or whatever it is now), or as long as you bought the extended one for. If you plan to keep your truck for longer then you should follow ZF's recommendation, who designed the transmission, which is around 70,000 miles.

Chrysler teaches their techs and mechanics that "lifetime" in this case is defined as 100,000 miles:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=201399&page=3

And no, that does not mean that this transmission is only designed to last 100,000 miles before being replaced. We already have members with over 300,000 miles on them.

There have always been people who believe in never changing transmission fluid; I am not and never will be one of them. This may increase the number of those people, but this is not the only transmission in common use to not have a dipstick. Many Ford truck don't have one with their 6 speed.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
... If it makes you feel better the 8 speeds also have a low fluid level indicator light that will pop up on the dash if it is low, but to be honest I do not understand why this seems to bother some people so much. ...
Actually this is not correct. There is no fluid level sensor in the 8-speed transmission. There is an overtemp light, and of course the CEL will come on when certain transmission faults are set.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Actually this is not correct. There is no fluid level sensor in the 8-speed transmission. There is an overtemp light, and of course the CEL will come on when certain transmission faults are set.
I was pretty sure someone posted that it popped up for them. Is there one for the six speed? Maybe that was it

·
Registered
15,699 Posts
I was pretty sure someone posted that it popped up for them. Is there one for the six speed? Maybe that was it
No need on the 5 or 6 speed, they have dip stick..lol.
I am not sure if bothers me, just something new to get used to. Been checking the trans fluid for over 40 years, with a dip stick, not only for fluid level, but condition of fluid.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
My guess is, the elimination of the dipstick saved manufacturer money.
More like save the transmission. No dipstick means the wrong fluid can't be added ruining the trans.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
More like save the transmission. No dipstick means the wrong fluid can't be added ruining the trans.
I would say that people don't add oil through the dipstick tube, but I knew a chick in college who tried to do just that when she attempted to change her own oil.

Good thing for her (well...not just her) she was good looking

·
Registered
15,699 Posts
I would say that people don't add oil through the dipstick tube, but I knew a chick in college who tried to do just that when she attempted to change her own oil.

I knew a girl who poured oil into her carb because the oil level was low on her 68 beetle. Can't make this stuff up. Yeah, she was hot !

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I knew a girl who poured oil into her carb because the oil level was low on her 68 beetle. Can't make this stuff up. Yeah, she was hot !
They gotta have something going for em:LOL:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not only girls make those silly mistakes. Had a very good friend in high school in the early 60's. Got himself an old 53 Chevy that came with the inline overhead valve 6 cyl. While cruising one night, Chevy was overheating. Pulled into gas station, removed cap on top of valve cover, poured water into his engine via valve cover cap. He was mechanically inept.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

Unfortunately there are many people who have no idea what they are doing to a vehicle but still try. A friend of mine blew up his battery jump starting it. Added trans fluid to the oil and brake fluid in the power steering in his BMW.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Unfortunately there are many people who have no idea what they are doing to a vehicle but still try. A friend of mine blew up his battery jump starting it. Added trans fluid to the oil and brake fluid in the power steering in his BMW.
And let's not forget the ever-popular "I filled my diesel tank with gasoline" (or vice versa), or "I put diesel fuel in my DEF tank" (or vice versa).

·
Registered
15,699 Posts
How does one blow up a battery?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts