DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15,699 Posts
Thanks Johnnyboy, I know you can wipe out the alternator and battery by reversing polarity, but I have never seen this cause an explosion either.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,458 Posts
Hooking leads up wrong. I have never seen one "blow up" in the action movie sense. But I did see a car battery boil and pop tg e plastic caps off hard enough to hit the hood.
Correct.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Thanks Johnnyboy, I know you can wipe out the alternator and battery by reversing polarity, but I have never seen this cause an explosion either.
It blew one of the big cover/caps off spewing battery acid call it what makes you happy.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you charge one hard for a spell then have a spark around it you'll see a lovely explosion. Hydrogen is in the air, waiting for a spark. It's a popular way to lose an eye.

Sure glad I can quit looking for that dipstick. As usual, should have read the instructions.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Didn't know that. NAG-1s seem pretty highly regarded
Mine seems to be less forgiving on a fast 3 point turn than the old Vic transmissions. Seems like it takes a split second longer to get from reverse to 1st in a hurry. Maybe it is just the way I drive in those situations.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
transengineer, what is your take on when to do a fluid service on the 8 speed. what does the manual mean by "lifetime fill". thanks.
Change interval depends on how you drive. If you're a reasonably gentle driver and don't do a lot of towing, you could skip changing it completely. Or change it at like 150K miles. It's really what you feel comfortable with, depending on your driving style.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good info gentlemen.. Now whats the best manual to learn how to drain and fill, without spending a ton to get the factory manual..just bout a 2016 w the 8 speed and i have always done all my own maintenance. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys...new to the forum. Quick question, I can't locate the transmission dipstick in my 2016 Ram 5.7 2x4 Big Horn. By all accounts it should be near back left of the engine near the air intake. I can't find anything on there being an option to not have one.

Any help would be much appreciated!
This is the first and the last dodge ram I will ever have
I don't like it at all I rether have my 92ford

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is not "sealed" any more than any other transmission is, it just doesn't have a dipstick. People hear "sealed" and think that its a disposable transmission that can't or is not supposed to be serviced; which is incorrect and that misinformation needs to be squashed. It is just as serviceable as any other transmission (I've done it):

8 Speed Fluid Change

The fluid level of the 8 speed is not checked by a dipstick, once it is between 86 and 122 degrees fahrenheit you can check the fluid level. This is done at the fill hole on the passenger side of the transmission body. When the plug is removed there should be a slow trickle of fluid, which will let you know it is full.

If it makes you feel better the 8 speeds also have a low fluid level indicator light that will pop up on the dash if it is low, but to be honest I do not understand why this seems to bother some people so much. Transmissions can't really consume fluid like engines can if oil slips past the rings or the water jacket becomes perforated. They can leak but that's easy to spot.
It is not the “checking if it is full” part for me. Sometimes it feels like the tranny shifts weird and I’d like to check for shavings or discoloration. I know the magnet in the pan catches the majority of it but there is still signs of wear on the dipstick.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It is not the “checking if it is full” part for me. Sometimes it feels like the tranny shifts weird and I’d like to check for shavings or discoloration. I know the magnet in the pan catches the majority of it but there is still signs of wear on the dipstick.
Drop the pan and change filter , I believe it’s part of the pan. There is aftermarket parts available for your truck . The factory pan is plastic others aren’t. This would let you inspect the filter and fluid, lots use Valvoline as replacement oil, as it is much less costly then mopar fluid.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts