DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

So i have a couple of questions about changing my Transmission fluid on my 2015 5.7L 1500 with 42k miles. On all of my other cars i use to use a vac to suck out the tranny fluid from the pan, or if they had a drain plug just drain the pan every other oil change.

The idea behind this was that i would always have new clean fluid and wouldn't have to do a pan drop and change the filter.

Has anyone used a vac on their Ram? How much fluid did you vac out or how much will you normally get out of a pan drop? I would think about 5 or 6 quarts.

Anyone have any good reason why not to do it this way and forgo with the filter change? I have had a couple of Fords in the past (which dont have the greatest transmissions) and haven't had any tranny problems with them doing this. I also dont beat on them either.

And what brand of tranny fluid are you guys using.

I have done a bunch of searches on this and haven't really found any good answers. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
34,680 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Manual says lifetime, but different opinions on what lifetime is. ZF the manufacturer suggests 60-80 thousand miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
If I want to change the transmission fluid on 2015 5.7 what kind of oil would recommend and how many quarts?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Changing the fluid without the filter, is like taking a shower with your socks and underwear still on. Why bother? Most dealers have a "flush" unit that connects to the lines and exchanges all the fluid including the fluid in the torque converter which can be as much as 6qt or more. But best bet is change fluid and filter that will get the majority. Owners manual should tell you what spec fluid to use.

·
Super Moderator
34,680 Posts
If I want to change the transmission fluid on 2015 5.7 what kind of oil would recommend and how many quarts?
Use either ZF Lifeguard 8 or Mopar 8&9 speed fluid. I just changed the fluid and filter when I did my truck and didn't flush it all out of the torque converter but IIRC it took less than 6 qts.

·
Registered
675 Posts
If fluid looks and smells OK, IE: not dark and stinky like burned. Your probably way safe with filter and fluid change. OEM anymore just say "lifetime". I dunno what that's supposed to mean, like till the trans goes ka-putt? I would rather change it out and extend the life if possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts