DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed the transmission fluid and filters. Fairly easy but messy job! This was on a 4.7 8cyl 2 wheel drive, 2005 ram 1500. If anyone wants to ask about the procedure, I will be happy to oblige! Saved about 120$!

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You just do the pan drop rather than a flush I guess? How much fluid came out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, I put 5 quarts back in, this took it to the cold level on the dipstick.I will check again after a good run to see where It is on the dipstick on the hot level. I keep reading that it is not good to flush as it dislodges any bad stuff in the transmission,so I just do the pan drop.The truck is on 103,000 and runs really well!
Thanks for your interest!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Hi there, I put 5 quarts back in, this took it to the cold level on the dipstick.I will check again after a good run to see where It is on the dipstick on the hot level. I keep reading that it is not good to flush as it dislodges any bad stuff in the transmission,so I just do the pan drop.The truck is on 103,000 and runs really well!
Thanks for your interest!
Hey be careful as I think once you start the truck and run it through the gears one time you will see that you are about 1-3 qts low if you only put back in 5 qts. You might want to check that out right away before driving it any more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Sean, yes I did that after finishing the job just to be sure. Today after checking the hot level when the engine was at normal running temperature, I had to add another quart. Many thanks though for that advice and your interest! Regards, Rob Tate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well from the search button, this is about the closest I've seen to answering the question I have. I too just changed the tranny filters on a 66RFE and now I'm confused about the levels. When the truck is cold and not running, the dipstick reads in the hot range. As soon as I start it up, the level reads in the cold range and stays there as the motor warms up. Do I check the level with the motor idling or do I increase it to a specific rpm and then check and has anyone else having this problem? I've run it up to as much as 1500 rpm to see if that produced a different level on the stick. This may be the dumb part, but the hot zone holes are higher up on the dipstick than the cold zone holes....just clarifying.

Another problem I've noticed as the motor starts to warm up, I hear this rattle never heard before. Sounds like something is loose at rear of motor or front of tranny. Does not have any real cadence or rhythm and goes away as soon as you crack it off idle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Tranny fluid should always be checked with truck at operating temp, not just the engine at temp but the trans too. After a good 20-30 minute drive should do it. Also with truck in neutral after running the shifter through all the gears. The "cold" line is for reference only and should be used as such. When my truck is at the cold line when the truck is cold, it is halfway between the cold and hot line when the truck is hot. I dont know about the noise though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
After a drive, the level is at the same cold level displayed in the driveway, should I add a quart? And what's up with the level indicating over hot even though it's all cold iron?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know, I know.....no need to be a smartass, just saying. You know things are weird with this new stuff. You know how long it took me to figure out this same transmission shifted from 2nd to 4th gear. F'd me up for two months. And as soon as I don't mention it....my dipstick would be stamped backwards.

·
Registered
30 Posts
See, now I feel like a complete tool. I thought you were yanking my chain...... that would have been funny.

Well, should I add a quart or not?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Normally I would be a SA so it's by chance you caught me when I was off....

I really don't know I'm stumped by why it is higher when cold... So the hot reading is higher than the cold reading, but when the trans is hot it reads lower on the stick? Are you checking it in neutral?

·
Registered
30 Posts
No. But my dipstick, by all accounts seems to be stamped correctly. So when I checked it after a drive yesterday, it read at the cold level, so I bought a couple of extra quarts. Went to put some in this morning, cold iron, sitting all night and the dipstick read above the hot level. I started the vehicle and it immediately went down to the previous cold level reading at idle and in park. Let everything warm up good, rev'd it up to 1500 rpm, and still at the same cold level. But each time checked in park. What's up?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
you need to be checking it in neutral, while running. Whether it's hot or cold you need to check it in neutral. It should even say this on the dipstick. USE PARKING BRAKE lol. Like said earlier, the cold reading is a base/reference to start out. It's not accurate if not in neutral, on level ground. And check it at idle rpm, don't rev it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
USE PARKING BRAKE lol.
???? You said on level ground.......but see that's better.

Alright, tomorrow I'll check it neutral after I get it warmed up. I'll give an update on that goofy noise too.

Thanks for the help, I'm Oscar-Mike for the night.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
LOL.....fine don't use the brake....at your own risk! JUST KIDDING lol

Check it right after you start it up first (while cold), then check it hot after 15 min or so of driving. Just to have comparison.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If the level is at "cold" when everything is hot, add fluid until it reaches the "hot" mark. Only believe the level when all is hot and checked in neutral. I use the cold mark to stop adding fluid after I flush, or drain the pan so I dont overfill the transmission. Thats all it should be used for, after that forget that marking is even on the stick and check and use "hot" mark.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's what I did. Checked it on level ground in neutral....with the parking brake sufficiently depressed....after a quick drive to warm everything up. It still read down at the Cold range but above the Add. It took about an quart and a half to get it up to where it needs to be, so that's now good. Any ideas on that goofy rattle noise yet?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts