DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Transmission general maintenance

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sll00 
#1 ·
Hey i heard that you should change your transmission fluid every 40,000 miles. i have an 06 ram with an automatic tranny. About 20,000 of those miles were heavy towing. Do i need to change the tranny fluid?

#4 ·
I changed mine to amsoil (complete flush) at 90,000km (55,000 mi) and the tech showed me there was barely a difference in color between old and new. he said the fords and chevs come in at half the mileage and the fluid comes out black. i noticed a fuel mileage gain after the flush.

#5 ·
I'd change it, cheap insurance to possibly avoid a major repair. Towing usually halves the service requirement interval. I changed mine at about 35K and am going to do it again at 64K. I go to a transmission shop that drops the pan, and changes the filter. It's probably good for the threads to be exercised. Some shops only flush them and back wash the filter because they are afraid of stripping pan bolts.

#6 ·
they don't back flush any more. they hook up the machine and let the truck pump the new in and the old out. there is a debate because if you take the pan off , you only get 6 out of 15 quarts. if you flush, you don't get a new filter. dodge says change fluid every 60,000 mi so maybe the best is flush at 30 and drop the pan at 60.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.