DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have posted about this issue before, and I think the last I reported on it, the dealer thought they had it solved as they said there was too much fluid in the transmission. That was last year, and I've just now had a chance to go camping, and I am getting the same issue...sort of.

What happens is, when I am towing, and going up a fairly long grade, the power will suddenly cut out, and I cannot rev above 4k RPM. Needless to say, this is quite alarming, and more than a bit dangerous. When it first started happening, I was thinking the transmission might be over heating, as it seemed to happen when the transmission got to around 220F., and I was turning fairly high RPMs. My camper only weighs around 2800lbs, so I don't think I am stressing the truck enough to cause that though. When it first started happening, I could pull over, restart the truck, and everything would be fine. When it happened last week, restarting the truck did nothing, and I still had the CEL. Luckily, I had a code reader in the truck, so I scanned it. I do not remember the actual codes, as I didn't think to take a pic, but I do know there were two. One stating a camshaft position sensor issue, and the other dealing with the transmission saying something about "manufacturer control". I cleared the codes, and was able to make it fine the rest of the trip, although I was careful to keep the tranny temps below 220.

I'll probably call dealer next week, and see what they say, however, last time, they could not see any codes, and could not do much. They did say that they had seen where the transmission had some work done in the past, which I was unaware of, so they checked the fluid, and found it was overfilled. I have to go next Monday to pickup my camper to tow it back, and I'll be coming up a long grade. Not sure I should try and bring the codes back or not, as it is quite scary when it happens, and I'm in traffic!

I bought the truck used, and it's a 2016 Outdoorsman FWIW.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, just towed the camper back, and kept an eye on the transmission temp gauge. Highest it went was up to about 212F, but I was actively trying to keep it below 220F. No problems at all for the trip home, so at this point I am thinking I just need to either adjust my driving style so as to keep the temps down, or get a transmission cooler. I was under the impression that the Outdoorsman had one, but per my research, I do not think it does.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts