DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 2001 Ram 1500 2wd that I wanna swap the trans, I just bought the truck and when accelerating it will not shift into 2nd without letting off the gas, and when it does shift it seems like it slipping. Anyways I got another trans with the with the truck.

Problem I am having or am wondering is will it work. The trans in the truck has 064-1 on the bellhousing... Spare trans has 064-7 they look the same except one big sensor or plug on the drivers side tail shaft, the one in the truck doesn't have it but the spare does.

Will this trans swap in and work correct

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I think...but not sure that you may have one trans that's an RE and one that's an RH.

(46RE, 46RH) I don't know what you'll have to do but that might be enough to help you out in looking. I believe the replacement trans you have is the RE.

Sorry I couldn't offer more.

I'm also pretty sure the sensor/hole is for the speed sensor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok thanks I've been trying to look I can't find side pics of both the compare, all I know is the spare has a big white sensor plug way at the end of the trans, and the converter is a lockup bc the sticker says right on it. I hope I figure it out before the one in the truck pukes.

Trans I'd number on the spare is pk521184262542 3363
And in the truck pk52119945AA 0970 6576

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so that back sensor plug seems to be a 3 prone plug with what looks to be a speedo gear?

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I've just swapped out the tail shafts on different manufacturers in the same situation probably 8-10 times without a problem. If all the other plugs and sensors are the same I'd do it in a minute.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or could I just throw the trans in and not plug in that big plug? I separated the tail housing and scarey enough a metal ring dropped loose so hopefully I got it back together right?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok I have a 2001 Ram 1500 2wd that I wanna swap the trans, I just bought the truck and when accelerating it will not shift into 2nd without ltruck.

Problem I am having or am wondering is will it work. The trans in the truck has 064-1 on the bellhousing... Spare trans has 064-7 they look the same except one big sensor or plug on the drivers side tail shaft, the one in the truck doesn't have it but the spare does.

Will this trans swap in and work correct
Did u ever try it ? I've got the same situation going on

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
If one is an RH, swapping tailshafts won't work. There were internal changes made when the governor and related hydraulics were eliminated when going to the RE.You also cannot just plug an RH into an RE setup and expect it to work. It won't. The RH relies on certain mechanical inputs that are not present in an RE setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts