DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 rwd . Tranny just went out and bought one from the junk yard. Now im trying to check if the tranny is the one i need since there is a 45rfe and 545rfe before i pull it and swap it. The one i just got has this numbers on the left side of it .
TITTJ173410371
P52119493AA F/E .

the tranny that blew had this numbers

TITTJ000411092

P52119452AB RFE .

Can i just get a confirmation that i had the correct tranny type .:thk:

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
i found this on one site

The 45RFE transmission is a five speed automatic transmission however when you drive the vehicle you will actually have 4 gears and lock up. the "5th gear" is only a different ratio achieved during a kick down shift to 2nd gear which is called 2nd prime.
"Limp" mode will always be 2nd gear.
the 45RFE was used into model year 2002 at which time they came out with the 545RFE transmission.

The 545RFE transmission was simply the same basic transmission as the 45RFE except they added a 2nd overdrive gear, (5th gear) to the equation.
============================================

on Wikipedia, look at the Applications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_RFE_transmission

===============================================

From a Mopar site

Hemi and more: the 2002-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks

The 545RE transmission, which had debuted in 1999 on the Grand Cherokee, was only available with the Hemi. This highly responsive, fully electronically controlled five-speed automatic (plus kickdown gear) provided fast downshifts and seemed to have fewer parasitic losses than the other automatics.
If you didn't get the Hemi, you had to settle for the standard 45RE automatic, a close relative.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a transmission site

PICKUP/RAM 1500 02-05 3.7L, 4.7L 45RFE
PICKUP/RAM 1500-3500 02-12 3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L 545RFE

My suggestion would be to look at where the electrical connections are & if they are the same between the 2 transmissions, it would work
That would mean that the wiring is the same & the trucks computer will work with it

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found this on one site

The 45RFE transmission is a five speed automatic transmission however when you drive the vehicle you will actually have 4 gears and lock up. the "5th gear" is only a different ratio achieved during a kick down shift to 2nd gear which is called 2nd prime.
"Limp" mode will always be 2nd gear.
the 45RFE was used into model year 2002 at which time they came out with the 545RFE transmission.

The 545RFE transmission was simply the same basic transmission as the 45RFE except they added a 2nd overdrive gear, (5th gear) to the equation.
============================================

on Wikipedia, look at the Applications

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_RFE_transmission

===============================================

From a Mopar site

Hemi and more: the 2002-2008 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup trucks

The 545RE transmission, which had debuted in 1999 on the Grand Cherokee, was only available with the Hemi. This highly responsive, fully electronically controlled five-speed automatic (plus kickdown gear) provided fast downshifts and seemed to have fewer parasitic losses than the other automatics.
If you didn't get the Hemi, you had to settle for the standard 45RE automatic, a close relative.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From a transmission site

PICKUP/RAM 1500 02-05 3.7L, 4.7L 45RFE
PICKUP/RAM 1500-3500 02-12 3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L 545RFE

My suggestion would be to look at where the electrical connections are & if they are the same between the 2 transmissions, it would work
That would mean that the wiring is the same & the trucks computer will work with it

Good Luck
Well all the sensors seem to be in the right spot and have the same connections . im just worried about that added gear on the newer style. i guess im going to have to find out if its works. Thank for the info !

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 5.7 rwd . Tranny just went out and bought one from the junk yard. Now im trying to check if the tranny is the one i need since there is a 45rfe and 545rfe before i pull it and swap it. The one i just got has this numbers on the left side of it .
TITTJ173410371
P52119493AA F/E .

the tranny that blew had this numbers

TITTJ000411092

P52119452AB RFE .

Can i just get a confirmation that i had the correct tranny type .:thk:
Those transmissions are identical EXCEPT for the torque converter. Your new trans has a converter for a 4.7L engine. So you might want to get the correct one for a 5.7L instead.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
He beat me to it lol...they are identical through the entire run except for connector change at some point like 2007 I think (if anyone actually knows the year?). The only difference is programming. I have a 45RFE from a 4.7 truck behind my 5.7.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
He beat me to it lol...they are identical through the entire run except for connector change at some point like 2007 I think (if anyone actually knows the year?). The only difference is programming. I have a 45RFE from a 4.7 truck behind my 5.7.
The "connector change" was actually for 2011 MY, and although the color of the main solenoid connector changed (the physical connector was the same), the real change was the removal of the OD solenoid. So a 2011 or later solenoid module (or valve body assy, or transmission) will NOT work in a 2010 or earlier truck.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
The "connector change" was actually for 2011 MY, and although the color of the main solenoid connector changed (the physical connector was the same), the real change was the removal of the OD solenoid. So a 2011 or later solenoid module (or valve body assy, or transmission) will NOT work in a 2010 or earlier truck.
Ah ok

1 - 8 of 8 Posts