DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks for a great forum. my 97 dodge ram 5.2 auto 2wd has a trans problem like all of them. It slips in O/D and on longer trips with the O/D off it slips in 3rd. we are pretty sure that the trans is fried. we are having trouble finding a replacement. it would help to know if we could use the tailshaft from a 2wd on a 4wd trans as long as its a 46RE? does anyone have any input or tips on this? thanks in advance for your help.

RamGirl625

·
Registered
709 Posts
Your best bet is to get the trans fully rebuilt. Why gamble with your money on a junkyard trans? The tailshafts are different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I feel your pain ramgirl625. My '99 ram sport cc 4x4 5.9 gas RE (Electric)trans has no O/D,that is my road truck. My '95 2500 HD 5.9 gas farm/plow truck has the RH (Hydraulic) trans and its eating clutches so fast I can't plow my drive way with it. It clogs the filter before I,m done. Its an easy $1200 + labor to have it rebuilt but what other choice is there? I found overdrives on-line for under $400 but they look like 2wd units and you have to install it. I haven't researched it though. I will buy the heavy duty kevlar clutches and hardened steels and sun gear do to the tough life my trucks live on horse farms near Buffalo NY. If there aren't pushing or pulling a load, they are parked.
The '99 road truck will get the $400 on-line O/D if it fits 4WD and I will do that, the '95 farm/plow truck is worth the $2000 to have it overhauled by a shop with me supplying the upgraded internals and converter. So I agree with panhead. There is no short cuts with tranny's. Pay up and get it done right if you haven't done it already.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
NO, it DOESN'T HELP. The 998 is the 3-speed variant of the 904, not the later overdrive A-500. Why is Buick even mentioned? And FYI, if it fits on a 318 block, it fits the 360 as well.

Now, swapping tailshafts is more than just swapping tailshafts. So, unless you're familiar with the inner workings, and comfortable with the transmission's guts, remove that idea from your list. Have you even tried basic service? Fluid/filter/band adjustment?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'd just take the 46re and get heavy duty parts put in possibly from a 47 or 48re to beef it up, good time to change out your torque convertor too, either order up the transmission overhaul kits or take it in to a reputable shop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts