DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Lone Star with 51000 miles has started to rev up and shift hard from 3rd to 4th. This happens once on the first drive of the day and again if it sets for a couple of hours. Any advice on what to expect when I bring it in?

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
876 Posts
2014 Lone Star with 51000 miles has started to rev up and shift hard from 3rd to 4th. This happens once on the first drive of the day and again if it sets for a couple of hours. Any advice on what to expect when I bring it in?
Does it Rev up a little on its own when you first start it by any chance?

·
Registered
2021 RAM 2500 Tradesman Crew
54 Posts
Try adding a 1/2 qt or so of tranny fluid. Why? You say the reving occurs only after the first start of the day and then after sitting for a couple hours. That’s when the tranny is cold and before the fluid heats up and expands.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
876 Posts
Good morning. Well, it idles up for 30 seconds or so but it’s always done that on startup.
Idling at around 1.5 RPMs for the first 30 seconds is normal, I mean...does it rev up higher after you start it while in park? If so...spark plugs will fix that, that's what fixed it in my Charger RT which had about 65k miles at the time. If that's not what's happening then nvm. Transmission fluid would be the next thing to look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try adding a 1/2 qt or so of tranny fluid. Why? You say the reving occurs only after the first start of the day and then after sitting for a couple hours. That’s when the tranny is cold and before the fluid heats up and expands.
Thanks WhatNext. I may try to find a level spot and pull that fill plug before I bring it in.
Idling at around 1.5 RPMs for the first 30 seconds is normal, I mean...does it rev up higher after you start it while in park? If so...spark plugs will fix that, that's what fixed it in my Charger RT which had about 65k miles at the time. If that's not what's happening then nvm. Transmission fluid would be the next thing to look at.
Thanks Power
Thanks PowerJrod. Rpm’s seem normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts