DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Night Version and the truck is at the dealer for Warranty work due to problems with the Transmission. This afternoon they called and stated they were waiting for Chrysler corporate to call them back letting them know if they will approve a Valve Body Replacement or the whole Transmission replaced. My question is if the valve body is only replaced will their be damage already done to other parts of the vehicle prior to replacement of this part? and what if they say no to both? The truck only has 17,000 miles on it and it was not even driven on a daily basis as it was our weekend vehicle. I am not sure what questions to ask the dealer when they call back, but I do not want to be taken. I am trying to learn all about this issue. Also when I spoke to the dealer the day before the service advisor had said the tech had ordered a new Drive Line?
2017 Ram 1500 Night Version 17kMiles 5.7 hemi crewcab short bed. The only on in three states that had all the options we wanted

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Transmission or Valve Body

When coming to a complete stop right before the truck stopped it would "jump" forward, like as if we were hit from behind every time we came to a complete stop. The problem was happening prior to transmission relearn preformed and was happening worse both times after bringing it to the dealer. The 3rd time the tech went for a ride along and was in it for only a few minutes and said that they would need to provide me with a rental car as he was going to have to open a ticket on it. The service tech called me the next day and stated it looks like the Tech ordered a new Drive line for it and it would be in on Monday, On Monday they are saying they are waiting for a answer from Chrysler Corporate on what the next step is. They are supposed to call me today.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
"a new drive line" ?

Like, driveshafts, etc? Or just the valve body?

The bump feeling when coming to a stop seems to happen to a lot of people but I dont think there has ever been a definitive explanation as to WHY it happens.

I personally think its a software thing, some set of learned values cause it to act weird. The full re-learn process is so complex that resetting the adaptation and starting over has a better chance of making it worse, unless the dealer follows the process to a T which Im guessing most dont (because it takes a while).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
If it's an 8-speed trans, then that's a fairly common complaint. I doubt replacing the valve body (or the transmission) will change it.

Question: Is the bump different if you come to a stop slowly / gently compared to a more rapid stop?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I’ve driven quite a few of these 5.7/8 speed trucks, because my ‘16 was demon possessed and had something wrong with it, basically every day I owned it, so I drove a new loaner every month. There were some that had a slight bump on the 2-1 downshift when stopping that I’d consider acceptable, that I feel is the normal 2-1 bump that people talk about. Then there was my truck. It felt like you were getting rear ended when you came to a stop. I took it to the service dept and they told me it was normal, and that a lot of trucks experienced it, until they drove it. When they were pulling back in, I saw the truck jump when it downshifted and the holy crap look on the techs face.

First they replaced the valve body and it seemed to fix it.........for about 100 miles. When I picked it up, I took it for a short drive and told them it seemed fixed to me. In about 100 miles it started doing it again. FCA ended up approving a new transmission. Oh and be advised, even though they say it’s new, they’re going to put a remanufactured transmission in your new truck, rather than a new transmission. Also, these transmissions may not be as reliable as some say, because this forum is littered with 8 speed issue threads, and they were back oreded when my was ordered.

New transmission went in and all was well for a few weeks, and then it started all over again. After a while, the truck got another transmission and guess what? It did it again. Shortly after that, the truck was gone. I still get the monthly vehicle report email, and I got one last week and it’s having transmission overheats now.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had a 2016 quad cab Laramie 4x4 that did that constantly to the point where I decided to trade it in. I test drive several 2017 Rams and none of the ones I test drive did it.

So I now have a 2017 quad cab Night Edition. This one does not do it, once in a while I’ll feel a very slight bump but it’s nothing compared to this last one.

The only differences between my 2016 and 2017 besides the model and color are that the old one had 3.92 and anti-slip while my new one has 3.21 with an open rear differential.

·
Registered
677 Posts
The reason I pointed out the differences with the rear differential is because I really believe that the 3.92 and or the anti-slip somehow amplify the bump. I’ve read other posts that seem to indicate that could be the issue but who knows.

I’m pretty sure it’s in the programming though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What I really want to know is what is the difference between replacing the Valve body or the Whole Transmission?
P.S. I have driven different trucks with the same specs and the ride was much smoother than mine was. The shifting between gears and the overall running was a lot smoother seamless than mine is, so I tend to believe that it is not a common thing as both instances the trucks had more miles on them than mine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The valve body is a part inside the transmission that controls how the transmission shifts.....more or less.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The transmission doesn't shift to 1st until you hit 0 MPH, so if you roll your stops you are "starting" in 2nd gear. IDK if this bump people are getting is part of a shift map the transmissions are learning from people's driving behavior, but at 80,000 miles (almost), I'm still not having issues with my transmission. It will hold gears when going downhill to keep me from having to burn up my brakes, and then it will feel somewhat of a lunge at the stop at the bottom of a hill, but it doesn't feel like getting hit.

FWIW, a pic of my valve body:

·
Registered
677 Posts
When I had my 2016 it most definitely did shift to first before coming to a complete stop, that’s when I felt the bump every single time. I would watch the gears shift from 4 to 3 to 2 then bump then to 1. I know from what I understand there was a software update that supposedly changed it so it wouldn’t shift up 1 until completely stopped but mine obviously never got that update even though it had the latest software. It don’t matter anymore though as that truck is long gone. My 2017 shifts great!

·
Registered
998 Posts
When I had my 2016 it most definitely did shift to first before coming to a complete stop, that’s when I felt the bump every single time. I would watch the gears shift from 4 to 3 to 2 then bump then to 1. I know from what I understand there was a software update that supposedly changed it so it wouldn’t shift up 1 until completely stopped but mine obviously never got that update even though it had the latest software. It don’t matter anymore though as that truck is long gone. My 2017 shifts great!
This is correct.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got my 1500 Night back from Dealer

Well almost 3 weeks at the dealer and they have replaced the drive line, valve body then told me it was all fixed, drove out to the dealer got in the truck, drove out the dealership and the problem was worse, turned around and turned it back in. The 4th time they finally decided to replace the whole transmission had the truck for 3 weeks. My truck only has 17,345 miles on it and it is still not as smooth as it should be. I went and test drove a couple of other trucks with the same engine and transmission 8hp70, so I know my truck is not right. I am at a loss for what to do next, as I just got my truck back on 8/8/18 and we went and test drove a few tonight and they are not as rough as my truck with the shifting and the overall smoothness of the engine. Mind you each time they preform a transmission relearn and any other computer update they can think of. Also every time my truck has been in the shop, they do not test drive the vehicle after they "fix" the issue, I have proof. How can they say it is fixed if they did not even test drive it to make sure the problem was solved. I do not know where to go from here? Do I take it back in? do I do a Buyback? I am paying a lot money for this vehicle that I am not comfortable driving at this moment.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My understanding is that the trans takes some time to learn your driving habits. I think you should drive it like you stole it for a while and see if it gets better or worse. They should take your truck out and perform a full relearn which from my understanding takes 2 techs several hours with long uniterupted roads.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
My understanding is that the trans takes some time to learn your driving habits. I think you should drive it like you stole it for a while and see if it gets better or worse. They should take your truck out and perform a full relearn which from my understanding takes 2 techs several hours with long uniterupted roads.

Or maybe drive it easy; maybe aggressive driving leads to rough shifting :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
677 Posts

Or maybe drive it easy; maybe aggressive driving leads to rough shifting

I was saying drive it like you stole it mainly because if something is wrong it should fall apart doing that..lol

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I was saying drive it like you stole it mainly because if something is wrong it should fall apart doing that..lol

Ah.

FWIW though there are many reports of rough shifting, I have yet to see any where it actually led to a failure or transmission problem.

Heck, if you ask this guy he seems to think smooth shifts take away from longevity (different transmission I know)

https://www.allpar.com/old/photo/edelman/index.php

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well almost 3 weeks at the dealer and they have replaced the drive line, valve body then told me it was all fixed, drove out to the dealer got in the truck, drove out the dealership and the problem was worse, turned around and turned it back in. The 4th time they finally decided to replace the whole transmission had the truck for 3 weeks. My truck only has 17,345 miles on it and it is still not as smooth as it should be. I went and test drove a couple of other trucks with the same engine and transmission 8hp70, so I know my truck is not right. I am at a loss for what to do next, as I just got my truck back on 8/8/18 and we went and test drove a few tonight and they are not as rough as my truck with the shifting and the overall smoothness of the engine. Mind you each time they preform a transmission relearn and any other computer update they can think of. Also every time my truck has been in the shop, they do not test drive the vehicle after they "fix" the issue, I have proof. How can they say it is fixed if they did not even test drive it to make sure the problem was solved. I do not know where to go from here? Do I take it back in? do I do a Buyback? I am paying a lot money for this vehicle that I am not comfortable driving at this moment.
I’ve driven quite a few of these 5.7/8 speed trucks, because my ‘16 was demon possessed and had something wrong with it, basically every day I owned it, so I drove a new loaner every month. There were some that had a slight bump on the 2-1 downshift when stopping that I’d consider acceptable, that I feel is the normal 2-1 bump that people talk about. Then there was my truck. It felt like you were getting rear ended when you came to a stop. I took it to the service dept and they told me it was normal, and that a lot of trucks experienced it, until they drove it. When they were pulling back in, I saw the truck jump when it downshifted and the holy crap look on the techs face.

First they replaced the valve body and it seemed to fix it.........for about 100 miles. When I picked it up, I took it for a short drive and told them it seemed fixed to me. In about 100 miles it started doing it again. FCA ended up approving a new transmission. Oh and be advised, even though they say it’s new, they’re going to put a remanufactured transmission in your new truck, rather than a new transmission. Also, these transmissions may not be as reliable as some say, because this forum is littered with 8 speed issue threads, and they were back oreded when my was ordered.

New transmission went in and all was well for a few weeks, and then it started all over again. After a while, the truck got another transmission and guess what? It did it again. Shortly after that, the truck was gone. I still get the monthly vehicle report email, and I got one last week and it’s having transmission overheats now.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ah.

FWIW though there are many reports of rough shifting, I have yet to see any where it actually led to a failure or transmission problem.

Heck, if you ask this guy he seems to think smooth shifts take away from longevity (different transmission I know)

https://www.allpar.com/old/photo/edelman/index.php
I think there is a lot to be said about smooth shifts being WORSE rather than better.

My in-laws owned a 1986 Acura Legend...the first Acura model ever to be sold in the US. The transmission in that thing was, lets say, less than comfortable. Slammed and lurched into every gear, EXCEPT if you were winding it out. If you had it at full throttle the shift was just perfectly crisp...it was only an issue if you were putzing around town it would hit the next gear and make the car feel like it was hurling itself forward (much like the description of the rough 2-1 downshift in the RAM 8 speed).

BUT! Honda knew that the only way to smooth shifts is built in slippage. Slippage creates friction which creates heat which is the worst enemy in a transmission. I think that Acura Legend had the trans fluid changed one time in its 160K miles and the damn thing never slipped once. Our 2003 Acura with its "smooth" 5 speed automatic? Trans completely dead at 65K miles.

I feel like a lot of the complaints with the 8HP come back to the TCM learning some bad values. Not purposely because of the driver, its just getting itself into a state where parameters line up just right (err, wrong, in this case) and create "issues". The more I read about people getting valve bodies or even whole transmissions replaced but then a few weeks later having the issue, the more I think its a function of the adaptation s/w putting the values into bad states. The complicated re-learn process doesnt help, I have a hunch that dealers arent really doing it the way it should be done, since it takes so long (time=money!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts