DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum.....just here trying to get some help!!!

Well I have a 2014 Ram 1500 QC 4x2 w/5.7L & 6 Speed Trans, absolutely love my truck...but it's giving me hell.

At around 11k miles I had my first transmission failure, the occasional stuck in 4th gear.....high rpms at low speeds etc, stopped by autozone & it was showing codes P0734/35. Notified dealer & took it to them. They fixed it (internals only) & in all honesty I just wanted them to put a new one in.

Around 16.5k miles I installed DIY CAI, Diablo Sport Intune (93 Tune), JBA Longtubes, Stainless Work High Flow Cats & H-Pipe all 2.5in pipe to the back. Took it to the track once, wasn't that impressed & I'm sure my irractic heartbeat had alot to do with that lol. Shortly after at 18k miles, check engine light came on same codes P0734/35. Notified dealer dropped it off & then the nightmare started. The shop foreman contacted Chrysler corp & told them that the truck had tons of mods & appeared to be abused....also mentioning that the race numbers although washed off was still somewhat visible. Well they had my truck for almost 3 weeks & then told me they would fix it, but a restriction would be placed on my engine & trans. Although I was highly upset, I took it for what it was....(chrysler been cheap).

I'm now at 24k miles, with yet another transmission failure same codes P0734/35....as of today truck is stuck in 4th gear & does the occasional high revs while trying to maintain one set speed. Chrsyler is refusing to fix it & so I contacted NCDS, just waiting to hear their decision.

Has anyone had these consistent P0734/35 codes? Also I have an option of getting a 66RFE Trans & PCM from Ram 2500 w/5.7L, will it be a hard job to do the swap??

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the Ram Family MidnightBeast :wavey:

Sorry to read about the issues your having :wow:

You'll most likely get a quicker reply if you post your
concerns here.

2009– (DS/DJ) 4th Gen Dodge Ram Problems and Solutions.
http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=193

Sadly not everyone reads through the Welcome thread.
I'd also suggest while your waiting on replies that you take
the sites user friendly ' Search ' feature for a test spin
as the archives are huge here.

Good Luck ;)

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
First off, a 66RFE trans will not work in your truck. The 66RFE gear ratios are different from your (65RFE) trans, so since your PCM is set for the original ratios, you would blow immediate Gear Ratio Error faults if you installed a 66RFE trans. You would need to install both the 66RFE trans, AND a matching PCM (from a 2500 truck) to get the trans to work properly. But then odds are the 2500 PCM wouldn't be compatible with your engine (I'm not sure about that, but it's a good bet). So probably best to stick with a 65RFE.

Did they ever replace the valve body assy? Or the pump assy? Or did they just replace the failed OD clutch parts? If you'll post your VIN (last 8 digits) I can look that info up.

While it's true that your mods could certainly cause (or contribute to) an OD clutch failure, you shouldn't have had the original failure at 11K miles. I'm wondering whether you have a bad valve body (or pump), that has a leak in the OD clutch passage somewhere (leading to eventual clutch failure), which has been there all along and is causing your repeat failures. So give me your VIN and let me do a little research...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TransEngineer my last 8 digit are ES140284

Thanks for chiming in, while looking through the forum I realized you were quite knowledgeable on situations like this. Also they only changed what was burnt inside the trans, which was 4th & 5th OD cluthces, they never attempted to look anywhere else. I mentioned to them it could have been something else thats constantly causing this problem, but hey I'm just a customer who is asking them to do too much work.

I was looking at the 66RFE with the intentions of mating it with a PCM from a 2500 with a 5.7L, hoping that would fix all my problems.....found both a trans & pcm from a 2014 ram 2500 & was just waiting on someone with the right knowledge to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
TransEngineer my last 8 digit are ES140284

Thanks for chiming in, while looking through the forum I realized you were quite knowledgeable on situations like this. Also they only changed what was burnt inside the trans, which was 4th & 5th OD cluthces, they never attempted to look anywhere else. I mentioned to them it could have been something else thats constantly causing this problem, but hey I'm just a customer who is asking them to do too much work.

I was looking at the 66RFE with the intentions of mating it with a PCM from a 2500 with a 5.7L, hoping that would fix all my problems.....found both a trans & pcm from a 2014 ram 2500 & was just waiting on someone with the right knowledge to point me in the right direction.
OK, I will check into this tomorrow for you.

If you can get both the trans and the PCM, AND if the PCM is compatible with your engine, then you would probably be OK with the 66RFE. I would first compare the wiring pinouts for the 1500 PCM vs the 2500 PCM. Make sure EVERY wire in EACH connector is for the same identical circuit. I would also ask a knowledgeable mechanic at a Ram dealership whether there are any engine differences between the 1500 and 2500 (like, different emissions systems) where the 2500 PCM might not work right in a 1500.

Oh, and you will have to make a few other tweaks, too. The main transmission case is identical between 65RFE and 66RFE. But I think you will find that:
• The 66RFE cooler line fittings are different (for bigger lines). Just swap in the fittings from your 65RFE.
• The extension length is different, and the 66RFE slip yoke is larger (so you would need a custom-made driveshaft to match it).
• The rear mount location / configuration may be different (which might require a new rear mount, and modifications to the crossmember).

You can solve the last two problems by swapping the extension assy from your old 65RFE onto the 66RFE trans. That should be easy to do.

I'll let you know what I find out next week....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TransEngineer honestly most of the mechanics at the dealership that I've spoke to are clueless, I do know the guys at Steve White Motors are quite knowledgeable so I will be sure to reach out to them.

The obstacles you mentioned, I've already considered...the lines & extension...just have to confirm the connectors & I should be go otherwise. The 66RFE swap is a last line of defense thing if I dont hear nothing good back from NCDS.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Sorry, but I can't seem to find any support for doing a deeper dive into your transmission problems. Thought maybe someone might be interested in inspecting your valve body (which hasn't been replaced yet) to see if we could find some internal defect. But unfortunately no luck, so it looks like the 66RFE swap may be your best bet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for looking into it for me, its appreciated. Still waiting to hear back from NCDS, hoping for some good news from them.

Reached out to Steve White Motors, they only have knowledge of engine swaps. They claim the PCM should work just fine though. Waiting on pictures of the electrical connections on the 66RFE trans....can't find wiring diagrams anywhere, guessing I'll have to go to a junkyard & look at them side by side.

Search for anyone else who has attempted this swap, but came up with nothing lol. Will be sure to update you with how things turn out in either direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts