DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automatic transmission… Tach jumps about 75-100 rpm as if the torque converter unlocks for a moment. Occurrences are sometimes seconds apart or minutes. No jerking, though you can feel/hear the rpm jump. It usually happens when going up hill and holding the gas steady. It happens in and out of overdrive, but I have not experienced it any other gears. I can get the same effect when consistently pushing the gas and tapping the break at the same time (suggesting a torque converter issue?).

Pertinent info:
Only two codes recently blown: evaporative emission control system leak (one code is "gross leak" and the other code is "small leak").
▪ Off the line, the shift to second is usually a bit rough (as if there is a minor slip in the tranny).
▪ I replaced the spark plugs, pvc valve, IAC motor, and TPS recently according to recommendations by others who've had similar problems.
▪ One cylinder was recently missing a bit (I think it is a spark plug wire deal, though not verified).

Reading a few other forums, could it be a torque converter clutch going out? The tranny going out? Or perhaps a computer/sensor problem related to this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having this same issue with my 2001 Ram Club Cab 4x4 with a 360.
I have also tested it with the overdrive off and on as well as with the cruise control engaged. Shows up in all modes.

Someone else has to have seen this and knows what it is.

·
Registered
172 Posts
as if it slips for a moment? back when i did 700r4s i had a few do that but they were losing line pressure. to where it completely loses gear.

your question really has me thinking....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as if it slips for a moment?
Yeah, just a moment.

ALSO: I just pulled a trailer loaded around 3-4000 lbs about 200 miles. When the rpms jump, I can hear see it in the tach and here it in the engine, but I can't really feel it in the tranny.

A few additional pieces of info: "CCd" is appearing in my overhead display (heard that I might need a DRB scan tool to investigate further), and today gas leaked somewhere above my gas tank (fuel pump?) when I topped it off. This would apparently explain my two blown codes (evaporative leaks).

Maybe this explains the jumps?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought perhaps I should start a new thread since my issues are broader than 'transmission problems' as I indicate here. I've summarized all the issues HERE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TSC89, I know there are some who've reported similar problems around the web. I've combed through search results in relation to this issue and found people saying the fix is replacing pvc valve or IAC motor or TPS. I did all three to no avail. Another guy said it's the torque converter clutch going out and he drove his 45k mi and ruined his transmission. I'm attempting to narrow it down at this point.

In the back of my mind is also the Transmission Control Solenoid... not sure if this could cause the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2001 Ram Club Cab with 5.9L. Bought it new and experience this problem at 13,000 miles. Also got an OBD code for torque converter. Dealer fixed it on warranty. Went for about 6 years or 70,000 miles with no problem. Started coming back about 2007. Little RPM shifts and on long trips of 500 miles or so engine light would come back on with torque warning (can't remember the code number). Transmission shifted just fine. I bought a code reader and would erase the code just before inspection and have been going on like this for 3 years. Last couple of months have noticed transmission hesitation for a couple seconds when everything is absolutely cold. Put the transmission in neutral for a couple of second and I won't see the symptoms (torque converter pumping up, I guess). Transmission still shifts fine, has lots of snap from a stop. My question is: how long before I can expect the torque converter to fail, will it destroy anything else when it does, what should I expect to pay to get it fixed? Also for you transmission mechanics out there, what is the mechanism of failure, in other words what cause the devices to stop pumping. They seem like a very mechanical device. Are there wear points somewhere that give or is it sludge and dirt taking it's toll?

Ken

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, I finally got some time to work on this and thought I should post up in case someone else comes looking for info on a similiar problem.

First I did a lot more internet searching on the problem and solutions. I like to start with the simple repairs first and work my way up.

First thing suggested to do was check the TV cable adjustment and it was set correctly.

The next thing we did was remove the check valve in the transmission line at the transmission cooler. This did not fix the problem but we did find crud in the line when we cleaned it out just to see.

Next I replaced the TPS and made sure the voltage was correct. I have been driving it for over a week now and the problem has not reoccurred.

I am going to go ahead and get the Sonnax Sure Cure Kit and a deep pan with drain and install before the end of the year.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Mine just started doing the same thing. Torque converter is the problem suggested by one of the more knowledgable posters. It's also been suggested that it might be the governor pressure sensor starting to go out. I only noticed mine at freeway speeds, and don't drive the freeway very much. I've got a tranny guy that I'll be checking with today.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Man - I'm I ever so thankful for this site! I'm having the same issues and had no clue what to do other than turning my truck and life savings over to the Dodge dealer and hope for the best. Now maybe I can go to a smaller shop and somewhat sound sensible about this issue.

Dean - any info from your tranny guy? Mine is at highway speeds only as well, from 50-60 mph.

Anyone experiencing the P0305 (#5 cylinder misfire) code at the same time of this? I am.

·
Registered
948 Posts
TLars: He suggested a new TPS, since mine didn't start until I did the TPS adjustment described in another thread. I did, and 1200 highway miles later, not a single blip. Seems to have fixed mine. Sorry it took a while to get back, but most of my driving is trips of less than 3-4 miles. Had to wait for a road trip to see if that fixed it. TPS was $33 at Autozone. Might want to start by checking the voltage response on your TPS, mine was kinda low at idle(0.58v, should be closer to 1.0v), but not throwing a code either.

·
Registered
429 Posts
What made you decide to get the TPS from AutoZone and not Mopar? Would a Mopar/Dealer one just produce the same issue you speak of Crabman?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Crabman - Thanks for checking back. I'm the same way as far as driving distance. I don't tow anything and use my truck for around town driving with occasional jaunts on the highway.

I had a friend check the voltage of the TPS and he said it was within spec and I didn't need to replace. But for $33...it may be worth it to chip away at the list of possibilities. Is the new TPS a simple plug in? No reset or anything like that?

Also - I'm seeing the rpm jumps when at consistent speeds at 50+ BUT if using cruise control the truck actually down shifts for about 3 seconds then goes back down. ????

Now if I can just fix my luke warm heating issue - I'm back in love with my truck.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Crabman - so glad to have read your post!

I followed your lead and got a TPS from Autozone. I got it installed and just got back from a test run for about a 15 mile, steady 50-60 mph jaunt.

RESULTS = no rpm jumps and no down shifting while in cruise control. WOO HOO!!!!

Some may say that wasn't a long enough drive, but I can tell you before the TPS change, the rpm jumps and cruise control down shift were almost immediate.

Thanks again Crabman!

·
Registered
948 Posts
TLars- from what I've read, there are alot of things that cause this symptom. I can't help but think we lucked out with an easy and relatively cheap fix. I ran mine from FL to NC without a problem, so I think I got it licked for now. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts