DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 1500 5.9 4x4 auto
I did a body lift and then It sat for 3months without driving. I don't know if something happened during the body lift or not but when I take off in drive it feels like I'm starting in 3rd in a stick shift. Doesn't shift through the gears. I can put it in 1,2 and drive fine. Doesn't kick down at highway speeds. Driving on the highway I'm around 2100-2200 rpms. Tranny fluid is just at the ok mark. When in reverse I tap the gas and they light up no problem. Is there any vaccum lines or something electric that is making this start in 3rd gear?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I still don't have reverse lights and I have a push button start because after my body lift it wouldn't start. My friend started jacking it up when I wasn't spotting looking for tension. Who knows what happen. Might be nss for starting....how do I check that? Personally don't mind the push button as much as the tranny problem.
Other problems that may be tied into this:
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?p=730288

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds to me like a problem in the wiring from the body lift, like the wires to the TPS , and the wires to the neutral safety switch. The throttle positiion sensor has a lot of control over the transmission, and the wires to the neutral safety switch which plug in on the drivers side of the tranny, well its like this, your outer two connections control your reverse lights, and the center post is for neutral safety switch. the sensor is on the drivers side of the transmission.(sorry for ramblng, long day today) Tps is on the drivers side of the throttle throat so to speak, on the intake, see if the sensor is FULLY plugged in, it probably is not, or the harness got broken during the body lift, this being the harness (es) going to both, beneath the hood.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I messed with the kick down cable to see if I could get it to kick down and got nothing. Still starts in 3rd gear and doesn't shift out of it. I unhooked the nss a few weeks ago and made sure it was clean. The tps I belive I need to check the voltage right? I read up on a thread 2yrs ago for my 03 1500 5.9 and I back probed it and tweaked it so it read a certain voltage like it came factory. My scanner threw a p0753 (shift solenoid) and a p0500 (speed sensor). I will break out the meter and see what they read because I don't think they are bad. I parked it, did the lift and now it doesn't work. After all that I have one more idea I will try when I get a chance to get out there under it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts