DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 ram with a 6 speed. I find it won't shift into 6th gear unless I'm doing over 100kph(60mph). If I'm cruising between 90 and 100 it will stay in 5th, even if I manually shift it into 6th. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
2018-1500's don't have 6 speeds. Only 8 speeds
Ram72588
I think canadian trucks offer 6-speeds, but we`ll have to let the OP chime in and set me straight if i`m wrong about that.

ROCCO,
Other than going back to the dealer to have it looked at, maybe try unhooking the battery for 15 minutes... see if it will reset everything. Also maybe try doing a throttle pedal reset too (???) We use to be able to turn the ignition to "RUN" position (without starting the truck, just turn ignition on), then push the throttle pedal all the way down, then let up off from it, then turn off the ignition switch, wait for a few seconds, then start your truck and road test it to see if this will help your problem any. I hate dealers, so i try to do things on my own as a last ditch effort just avoid back to the the stealership. If these two things dont help you any, your likely going to have to go back to your dealer. Possible transmission reflash. I dont think you can force an upshift either, down shift only.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rambunkshuss I'll give it a try.

Yeah, we can get the 6 speed transmission on the 2018s. 8 speeds are an option on the express with a hemi, standard with the V6.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I know the 8 speed won't shift into 8th unless you're above 55 mph, and only then if the engine has very light load on it. The 6 speed has the same 0.67:1 ratio in 6th that the 8 has in 8th, so I'd say its operating as supposed to.

The range selector buttons just allow you to lock out higher gears, they are not a manual shift mode and do not allow you to force an upshift

·
Registered
2,713 Posts

Yeah, we can get the 6 speed transmission on the 2018s. 8 speeds are an option on the express with a hemi, standard with the V6.
Your welcome Rocco. Holler back to let us know how it works out. It might help someone else out if it worked. I`m just grasping at straws at this point. Thunderhorse has a huge wealth of knowledge... take some of his advice as well.

Do you happen to know what gear ratio you have in the differential...?
This can play into how the truck reacts on when it shifts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't work, have an appointment with the dealer. If I set the cruise on at 100kph(60mph) it will not shift into 6th. Have to speed up over 100 for it to shift.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mines the same way, looking forward to see if there is a reflash or something. Please keep us posted. I see you are in Rockland, I'm not too far from Owen Sound, small world sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts