DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gettin ready to pull the xfer case and 46re transmission and just wondered how much clearance I need to slide the transmission out from under the truck?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I am gettin ready to pull the xfer case and 46re transmission and just wondered how much clearance I need to slide the transmission out from under the truck?
well when i removed my transmission from my ram van i made some ramps out of 2x12's so i made about 8 inches of lift, but i still had to jack up the front end a little more to wheel it out. find out the minimum height of the trans jack and then the height of the transmission from the top of the bell housing to the bottom of the pan, it should be about 2 feet

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
UPDATE!
Transfer case and transmission are out, I see refurbished 46re on the auction sites for 1500...about what i paid for the truck.
Whats are my alternatives for cheaper re-man unit or full rebuild kit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rebuilt my 46re myself, ordered a full kit for about 125.00 and a new reman. torque converter at 102.00 I had one floor jack which I converted to a trans jack and picked up two more 3ton floor jacks,and about 12 cans of parts cleaner, clean and dry with compressed air and bag in white trash pail liners to keep clean till needed. Used my dodge factory service manual and a video. I videoed the dis-assembly of mine, it was sure nice to be able to go back and see how how it came apart. Good light lots of pic's take your time.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
UPDATE!
Transfer case and transmission are out, I see refurbished 46re on the auction sites for 1500...about what i paid for the truck.
Whats are my alternatives for cheaper re-man unit or full rebuild kit?

Well the average price for you to rebuild it is going to be in the ball park of 500-900 bucks, I don't recommend you buy those cheap rebuild kits. I actally prefer you buy the parts individually, for example buy a overhaul kit, then buy new bands, then buy the frictions and steels, electronics. I so it this way because you can customize the transmission and it can work out to be a benefit. The torque converter just use a pro king from the local autozone, I use them and they work prefectly fine, as good as OEM.

If you don't want to be bothered with rebuilding then just buy that refurb model.

A tip is to actually take the transmission apart so you can get a idea of the damage so you know what to order, it's possible you have damaged hard parts. Oh if you decide to rebuild the OD unit you need a small shop press.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE!
Transmission is rebuilt and ready to go back in.
Torque converter was replaced so any old alignment marks are worthless. Are the holes from the TC to driveplate evenly spaced? Or is 1 hole offset? Figure its better to ask now before I even start.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
UPDATE!
Transmission is rebuilt and ready to go back in.
Torque converter was replaced so any old alignment marks are worthless. Are the holes from the TC to driveplate evenly spaced? Or is 1 hole offset? Figure its better to ask now before I even start.
The bolt pattern is offset slightly for alignment, the 5.9L isn't offset because the 5.9L is a externally balanced engine. Anyway's the bolts are offset, what I do is remove the flex plate from the engine and then align the flex plate to the TC and make an alignment mark then I go back and install the flex plate back onto the crank and install the transmission.

What you could do is just bolt up the transmission to the engine and spin the TC by hand until two of the 4 bolt holes line up. Then all things good.

Now this is very important, when you go to install the TC bolts use BLUE LOCTITE, if you don't they will come loose and you will have something that sounds like rod knock. If you don't have blue loctite the home depot and lowes sells it and so does every auto parts store.

Anyproblems please ask, make sure you prefill the TC with about 1-1/2 to 2 quarts of transmission fluid and slowly engage the torque converter onto the transmission, don't force it on. When the TC is properly installed onto the transmission there should be 1/2" of space between the engine mating surface of the bell housing and the TC mount pad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it on the pins and all bolts in, what are the torque specs for the 2 large and 4 small bolts holding the housing to the motor?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Got it on the pins and all bolts in, what are the torque specs for the 2 large and 4 small bolts holding the housing to the motor?
The four bolts that bolt to the engine block are going to be 50 ft-lbs, the 2 bolts that are bolted into the bell housing are going to be wrist tight + a push. Any bolts that screw into the bell housing are going to be in the inch lb area, the aluminum is so easy to cross tread. I always shoot for 200 in-lbs just like the throttle body.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE
Installing a new transmission cooler and bought new line connectors. Rumor is, the rear coupling on transmission can easily crack the case. Is there a certasin torque spec or procedure to help prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
UPDATE
Installing a new transmission cooler and bought new line connectors. Rumor is, the rear coupling on transmission can easily crack the case. Is there a certasin torque spec or procedure to help prevent this from happening?
This is no rumor it's a fact! The threads are taper instead of straight the reason is for it's sealing properties. The torque spec is 13 FT-LBS EXACT no more no less, use Blue Loctite, no need for any thread sealent because it's a taper thread, the torque spec's are the same for both fittings. The return fitting is known to cause the case to crack and the pressure fitting if overtightened is known to break off or cross thread. So be very careful, if you ever do happen to crack a case sonnax makes a fix for 16 bucks, I have had to buy it before and it works well but JUST DON'T CRACK THE CASE!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
oh next 600 bucks you get you may want to buy new driveshafts, yours are rusted real bad you probably have excessive run out and I know for a fact it's out of balance. Any factory driveshaft is going to be out of perfect balance, the standards for balance are low. You would be surprised how smooth a ride you can get with a precision shaft, it's like riding in a dream machine!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I figured i would update to let yall know the truck is done!
A major setback was the exhaust. I spent almost a month messing around with the SS magna flow y-pipe before I got fed up and bought a 1pc from NAPA. The magna flow pipe for the drivers side was bent incorrectly and pulled the bottom of the converter really close to the transmission. So close that I couldn't get an O2 sensor in it.
Only concerns at this point are that I slightly overfilled the transmission (about 1/8" over the max. line when hot)
In hindsight, I should have installed a temp. sensor to be able to monitor the temps on my investment.
Ive only driven it 10 miles but it shifts REALLY firm. Almost too firm but I figure its due to the new clutch packs.
So...thanks to everyone for their help. I really appreciate it! :D

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I figured i would update to let yall know the truck is done!
A major setback was the exhaust. I spent almost a month messing around with the SS magna flow y-pipe before I got fed up and bought a 1pc from NAPA. The magna flow pipe for the drivers side was bent incorrectly and pulled the bottom of the converter really close to the transmission. So close that I couldn't get an O2 sensor in it.
Only concerns at this point are that I slightly overfilled the transmission (about 1/8" over the max. line when hot)
In hindsight, I should have installed a temp. sensor to be able to monitor the temps on my investment.
Ive only driven it 10 miles but it shifts REALLY firm. Almost too firm but I figure its due to the new clutch packs.
So...thanks to everyone for their help. I really appreciate it! :D
Don't worry about the overfilled transmission too much, 1/8 isn't going to hurt it, over time some of the fluid will leak past the extension housing seal. Yea a firm shift is what you should be getting, but only when you are doing WOT shifts. Part throttle shifts like around town should be soft but not soft enough you cannot feel them.

And you're welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts