DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this problem for a while now. The truck will shudder on the downshift when I floor it, quite badly, like it cannot decide which gear to kick down into. When it does finally complete a downshift, it seems it goes a gear too low and only stays there for a second before upshifting. It seems this is only happening when the transmission temp is colder than 40 degrees C. Anyone else experience this? The dealer could not replicate the problem when I had it in. Might be time to have a tech ride with me to feel it I think! I have read about a similar problem with the 545rfe in grand cherokees a few years ago and I am wondering if it is just a TCM problem. Can't be good on the tranny either way!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
If you are in MDS mode and full torque convertor lockup, its very common. Ther is actually a TSB for it too. The dealer can reflash your truck, but you might not like the reflash. (most dont because they notice the truck loose`s power and shifts alot differently after the reflash) Whats happening when you floor it quickly, (being in OD) it takes time for the computor to pull you out of overdrive, shut off the MDS function, kick down a gear or two, then the truck finally responds. Its trying to decide what gear you should be in so it shudders while jumping from one clutch pack to another. Welcome to the world of electronic transmissions. Take your truck out and drop it into 5th gear and then try the same thing with it, i`m bettin you`ll see the response time will be hugely different campared to when you were in regular overdrive mode. It will likely NOT stumble an shudder while in 5th gear nearly as bad if at all. If it still shudders while in 5th gear, you might have somethin else going on. I`m no expert here, this is just what i`ve found out over time with my own 2010 hemi qc sport.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are in MDS mode and full torque convertor lockup, its very common. Ther is actually a TSB for it too. The dealer can reflash your truck, but you might not like the reflash. (most dont because they notice the truck loose`s power and shifts alot differently after the reflash) Whats happening when you floor it quickly, (being in OD) it takes time for the computor to pull you out of overdrive, shut off the MDS function, kick down a gear or two, then the truck finally responds. Its trying to decide what gear you should be in so it shudders while jumping from one clutch pack to another. Welcome to the world of electronic transmissions. Take your truck out and drop it into 5th gear and then try the same thing with it, i`m bettin you`ll see the response time will be hugely different campared to when you were in regular overdrive mode. It will likely NOT stumble an shudder while in 5th gear nearly as bad if at all. If it still shudders while in 5th gear, you might have somethin else going on. I`m no expert here, this is just what i`ve found out over time with my own 2010 hemi qc sport.
I have noticed it doesn't seem to do this in manual shift mode, so I think you are right. It also seems to be fine when the tranny is warmed up beyond 40 degrees C. Sometimes though, it doesn't have to be in OD or ECO mode, I have noticed it going up a hill, prob in 4th gear, and when I kick down it shudders. Not as bad, but still for 2-3 sec. Will have to try this scenario in manual shift mode as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was just out on my lunch break, put the truck in 5 (manual shift) at around 55 kmh, and still had the shudder when I kicked it down. Not quite as bad, but still there. I may not like the reflash, but if the problem continues I don't want slipping clutch packs to fry my tranny either. Time to go back to the dealer! Maybe its time for that sonnax line pressure booster as well.........

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have the same issue from time to time. It feels like there is not enough gas getting to where it should be for a few seconds. It stutters for about 2-5 seconds. It happened tonight to me. I had just left the house maybe 2 minutes, going down the road at around 50, gave it some gas and stutter,sputter, and then it kicked in. It has done it before, but with gas being so high, I have not been jumping on it a lot,lol. If there is a TSB does anyone know when it came out? I have a Diablo In Tune coming next week. If I have to have it re flashed I wanna do it before I play with the tuning first. If it is a Chrysler flash, the tuner should not help/hurt it just prefer to have it done first.:LOL:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also have the same thing happening to my tranny

My started after i change my Diablo tune from 89oct to stock with Mds off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts