DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 46re transmission. First the trans oil pan gasket blew so i changed that and the filter. No debris in the pan what so ever. Filled it back up with Atf +4. Everything was correct. Then i went to start it and it wouldnt start in park. So i changed out the neutral safety switch and the problem was fixed. Tried to drive it and it wouldnt move. So next i changed out the governor pressure solenoid/sensor. The car drives now but it slips in third gear and sometimes from 1st to 2nd. There is also a hard jerk from a stop to go. Should i adjust the bands? What else could be the problem. I also cleaned out the IAC for some reving problems and it fixed them. The truck has 70000 miles on it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 46re transmission. First the trans oil pan gasket blew so i changed that and the filter. No debris in the pan what so ever. Filled it back up with Atf +4. Everything was correct. Then i went to start it and it wouldnt start in park. So i changed out the neutral safety switch and the problem was fixed. Tried to drive it and it wouldnt move. So next i changed out the governor pressure solenoid/sensor. The car drives now but it slips in third gear and sometimes from 1st to 2nd. There is also a hard jerk from a stop to go. Should i adjust the bands? What else could be the problem. I also cleaned out the IAC for some reving problems and it fixed them. The truck has 70000 miles on it. Any help would be appreciated.
Try adjusting the kickdown band don't bother with the reverse band, no reason to adjust that because we want to try to get first to third to work don't we... Well try adjusting it only if you feel confident about doing it yourself elsewise take it to someone. If it still has issues after that then we narrowed it down to either valve body or clutch issues if this is the case then it's either internal leak or burnt friction discs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel very comfortable doing it. Is there a scanner i could buy that would tell me what the problem is? And if so wear would i get one? I know that these trannys are a lot of electrical and i am pretty mechanical so the to dont mix so well here lol.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I feel very comfortable doing it. Is there a scanner i could buy that would tell me what the problem is? And if so wear would i get one? I know that these trannys are a lot of electrical and i am pretty mechanical so the to dont mix so well here lol.
Their isn't any tool you can plug in and it tells you whats wrong. These transmissions aren't mostly electronic, they're mostly hydraulic. The RH vs RE is the RE uses an electronic governor and has a temp sensor. It's nothing special. Anywho, good luck. It's fun and easy to rebuild.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts