DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I have a 96 5.2L Ram 1500. My transmission housing literally snapped at the transfer case. So I need to swap my transmission (46RE 4WD) I found a 46RE from a 5.7L ram of the same year....I found the “interchangeability) post and was informed of this:
“Well Mike the trans are interchangeable . But the torque convertors are different . The one from the 5.9 is externally balanced . If you use that in the 5.2 , you will have a vibration from the motor”
Source:

my question is: can I just swap my torque converter from from current one into the new one and be good to go? Is there ANYTHING else im Missing here?

Thanks I’m advance!

·
Registered
89 Posts
In my opinion, going from 46RE on a 5.9 to a 46RE on a 5.2 and you're re-using the 5.2 Torque converter, should be fine. If you're super worried, could always get a new one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my opinion, going from 46RE on a 5.9 to a 46RE on a 5.2 and you're re-using the 5.2 Torque converter, should be fine. If you're super worried, could always get a new one.

I swapped out my torque converter only 2,000 miles ago so I’m sure it’s fine to re use. Thank you for the input it’s greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I swapped out my torque converter only 2,000 miles ago so I’m sure it’s fine to re use
Why not just replace the overdrive unit?
ill tell you EXACTLY why.... cause I’m a dummy and forgot that the OD unit is a separate piece that can be swapped. You my friend just save me a ton of time and energy I think.... I’ll update here when I find one for now here’s a pic of what happened to my trans. The black is my transfer case and the silver is my trans... quick question, looks like I can “maybe” swap the OD unit without dropping the whole transmission. What day you??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 4X4 transmission. I found a 2wd overdrive unit for cheap. Can I swap with that and just delete the 4WD option?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 4X4 transmission. I found a 2wd overdrive unit for cheap. Can I swap with that and just delete the 4WD option?
Or better yet... does it even matter? Do I HAVE to use a 4WD overdrive unit? Or can I just swap with one from a 2wd?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The 4X4 is a different housing as is the 2WD. You would have get rid of the transfer case to use the 2WD one. You need to find a 4x4 housing. Might try calling a few transmissin shops and see if thay have any bad units with a good housing and have them swap the internals(there is spring in there you need a press to change).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 4X4 is a different housing as is the 2WD. You would have get rid of the transfer case to use the 2WD one. You need to find a 4x4 housing. Might try calling a few transmissin shops and see if thay have any bad units with a good housing and have them swap the internals(there is spring in there you need a press to change).
Got it, thank you so much for all the help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I literally just threw the extension housing in the scrap yard 2 weeks ago for a 4wd.
Go figure lol. Local salvage yard has 2 transmissions but can’t say wether they are 2wd or 4WD so I’ll have to go look. Wish me luck guys!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok so I found a new OD unit. YAY me!
Couple questions:

1. When everyone talks about the making sure the splines don’t get misaligned they are talking about the splines inside the OD unit correct? It looks like two seperate splines that when I pull it off are perfectly aligned with each other so that the shaft can just slide right in and out. (Both of which are perfectly aligned on the inside of my new unit)

2. When I’m putting it on it stops at a certain point when the small rod is just barely going in. Is there a particular position the small rod needs to be? I can’t tell if that’s what’s getting stuck or if the shaft is getting caught in the spline...

3.Do I need to turn the OD unit a little to the left or right in order to catch the splines inside to slide it further?

I’ve included pictures of:
1. the inside of my OD unit,
2. The small rod (circled in red)
3. And the area the rod goes into.

my guess is that either I need to slightly turn the unit one way or another to catch the groove of the splines, and it the rod needs to be in the perfect spot to fit into the void on my OD unit. I just don’t want to mess up the unit and have to spend the day rebuilding it...
again thanks to @Moparite for saving me a to of time and effort of not having to drop and replace the whole transmission!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here’s a picture to show how close it gets.
I can feel/hear something tapping. It’s not the park pawl rod because I can move it any direction still. I can also feel/hear the shaft slide through the splines so I don’t think they are misaligned in any way It almost seems like the tip of the shaft just won’t line up into the deepest small hole inside the OD unit. (The hole with the small gold ring around it in the last picture above)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anybody have any idea?

all I can find it the possibility of the splines not lining up but I honestly don’t believe that’s it. They are perfectly aligned...

move read in other threads that some people take a block of wood and hammer or mallet and just smack it to get the last little bit on I’m just afraid of damaging anything...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok big giant update. I remembered that when I took it off it was stuck in there and had to use a large screwdriver to pry it off. (It was the same thing for the unit I pulled off a donor truck) to I put it in and slid it up like pictured then took a 1X4 piece of wood and used it with a 3lb sledge ti snack it on and voila!

BUT the bearing race thing keeps slipping out of place. What can I use to keep it in place? I’ve seen transmission shops use some kind of red stuff that acts like a glue or something.Anyone know what it is called?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another update, the red stuff I was thinking of was transmission assembly lube it is a lube and has tack to it. The ONLY place I could find that had it in stock locally was at NAPA of all places. A tub was $8 so I put a few dabs on the thrust bearing and put it in the OD unit, smacked it in with the hammer and everything is bolted back up now. I’ve gotta get some new tranny fluid and hopefully all will be well then.

hopefully all these messages/updates help someone some day :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts