DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Who says it doesn't pay to read/post on forums?
Moparite said:
Why not just replace the overdrive unit?
ill tell you EXACTLY why.... cause I’m a dummy and forgot that the OD unit is a separate piece that can be swapped. You my friend just save me a ton of time and energy I think....

Glad to hear it's working! (y):giggle:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Who says it doesn't pay to read/post on forums?

ill tell you EXACTLY why.... cause I’m a dummy and forgot that the OD unit is a separate piece that can be swapped. You my friend just save me a ton of time and energy I think....

Glad to hear it's working! (y):giggle:
thank you again! You saved me a ton of time AND MONEY!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Awesome! All told, how long did it take? If you could give someone a few tips if they do this in the future, what would you say?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That’s a good question! If I had all the parts, tools, and knowledge I do now sitting in front of me it only takes about about 2-3 hours (most of this time spend taking off the crossmember and everything AROUND the unit. I didn’t use the alignment tool I was just really careful when pulling it off and putting it on.

also when I removed it I didn’t take the crossmember off just the attaching plate that the unit bolts to and slid it out. But when I pulled the one off my parts truck the crossmember was already unbolted and I then realized its ALOT easier with the crossmember off. I took my crossmember off to put it back in andit made it ALOT easier to slide the new one on when the transmission gets the extra low hang. But you CAN replace it withoutremoving the crossmember if it proves to be too annoying to remove.

When I pulled it off my truck the thrust bearing came loose but when I pulled it off the parts truck it didn’t so there’s a 50/50 chance you may not need the lube like I did but IF it does come loose it’s practically impossible to keep it in place when putting it back on (I was dead in the water for 2 days waiting for assembly lube to come in to Napa and wished I had gotten it before)

also I put it on and room it off like 15 times thinking I had messed something up because it wasn’t going on that last inch but I just had to get the courage to smack it on. but ONLY DO THIS if you are positive that the gears are still aligned.

I used a measuring rod and checked to see how deep the shaft was actually in my unit to be sure that it was in fact sliding through the splines and not just stopping at the rim of the gears.

I’m no mechanic by any means but know how to turn a wrench. I’ve pulled my transmission before with. Buddy to upgrade my torque converter before, but I feel like this was more involved. This could be becUse I did it all by myself with no prior knowledge.

if youare pulling your part from a parts truck I suggest pulling it off there first THEN pulling it from your own truck. It’s less stressful pulling it off the parts truck and will help you better understand what you are doing when pulling it off your primary truck.

I think the hardest part overall was actually putting the transfer case back on that thing isn’t TOO heavy but it’s really really awkward you can slide the OD unit on by hand no problem but the transfer case I had to put on a floor jack and wrap a bungee cord around it so it would stay out but be movable enough to get it in the right spot.

I hope this thread helps someone in the future if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and ill
Be happy to answer!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts