DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. I've noticed the transmission seems slow to engage when it's been sitting for several hours. It could be up to 5 or 6 seconds before it will backup. Since I normally back out of the garage or my parking spot at work I don't know if this is just a reverse issue or if it happens in 1st gear. The truck doesn't do this if the trasmission is warm and has been recently used. I never noticed this on my 2011 1500 in the three years I owned it. The trasmission I have is the DFP 6-Spd Automatic 66RFE Transmission accourding to my build sheet.

Anyone else noticing this? I have my first oil change coming due in the next month and plan on asking the service center manager then.

Thanks

·
Registered
510 Posts
Normal on most auto trans. it takes time to pump it full of hydro fluid, and build pressure. it was VERY bad on the 4spd torqueflight's behind the 5.9 Cummins. we use to drill a small hole in the valve body to help cold refill happen faster.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm glad it's considered normal. However this is the 4th Dodge truck I have owned and none of the others have ever had such a delay. I would understand if it was extremely cold, but the garage is around 50 degrees at night. It's not like I fire it up and drop it in gear immeadiatly. Normally I let the idel settle down like PaulBx mentioned. The truck in question doesn't have 3,000 miles on it yet so I am still getting used to it. I just thought it was a little strange. I have noticed the clunk in the drivetrain when slowing down that has been discussed in other posts and wondered if the tranny is a little out of whack.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
A 5-6 second delay on startup is not normal. I suspect you are getting converter drainback, which IS explained in the owner's manual, but these transmissions are designed to avoid converter drainback under normal circumstances. So if you're consistently getting this, then I would get it fixed.

There are two ways to diagnose drainback. The easiest is the do-it-yourself method. Next time you start it up cold (after sitting overnight), drop it right into gear and try to take off. If it feels like the trans is slipping, and then slowly "oozes" into gear, then you have drainback. No, the trans is not actually slipping. It's just that the converter is half full of air when you start it, so you get very little torque into the trans. The torque level comes up slowly as the converter refills (which is why it feels like it "oozes" into gear).

Method #2 is to record turbine speed versus engine speed (using a scan tool) after a cold start. Start the engine cold (with trans in Park) and let it idle (in Park). See how long it takes for the turbine speed to come up to half of the engine speed. If it's more than maybe 1 second, you have drainback. Usually, drainback units will take 3-4 seconds for turbine speed to hit half of engine speed.

If you have drainback, it is almost always due to a faulty spin-on (cooler return) filter inside the transmission. This filter has a diaphragm that prevents drainback, so if that diaphragm is too weak, you get drainback. Tell your dealer you have sluggish engagement cold, due to converter drainback, and ask them to change the spin-on filter. That should fix it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks TransEngineer. I've experienced the first method you described several times. I'll be going in soon for an oil change and I'll be sure to talk to them about the converter drainback issue. I'll ask them to change the spin-on filter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
what do they consider cold conditions?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine, from time to time will lurch into gear or make a loud metal on metal sound.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Mine, from time to time will lurch into gear or make a loud metal on metal sound.
By "lurch into gear," I assume you mean a harsh, sudden engagement? That can be fairly common if your engine speed is still on high idle after startup.

The "loud metal on metal sound" is NOT normal (nor a good thing!), but that is not a common issue at all on these transmissions. Does that happen in both Drive and Reverse? If so, I'd suspect it may be something other than the transmission (such as engine accessory drive perhaps).

·
Registered
198 Posts
The metal sound is normally in conjunction with the lurching. Thinking back on it I think most of the times it happened the truck was in high idle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Took my truck to the dealer. I'm not impressed with the ability of the service department to communicate effectively, but that's another story.

I'm being told by my service adviser that this is normal operation for that transmission and he tried some new trucks on the lot this morning and they all worked the same. The SA said he has a call into Chrysler regarding the situation, but at this time there is no fix. I even emailed the SA the post from TransEngineer, but that doesn't sway a dealership. So I hope that TransEngineer gets the case from the dealership and tells them how to fix it.

My other option is to wait 6 months and maybe more RAM owners or a dealership with a more responsive service department will get the word out on changing the spin-on filter.

Still love my RAM, but not happy with a service department who let it sit for an entire day with out working on it when I had an appointment for 7:20 AM. Then I had to describe 2 more times what the problem was.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Could you PM me your dealer name, dealer phone number, the SA's name, your name, and the last 8 digits of your VIN? I am out of the office until Monday, but I will try to give them a call on Monday and see if I can help out...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Another update

Thanks TransEngineer, PM sent.

Just in case anyone else is following along I'll give another update.

I went to pick up my truck at lunch. Apparently Chrysler has directed the dealership to replace the spin-on filter. Sadly, nobody from the dealership notified me so I could have been saved a trip. Hopefully I'll have my truck back this evening and in the morning it will back out of my garage without any delay. I hope the dealership will be proactive in fixing the other trucks on the lot that they tested this morning. According to the SA this is normal for that transmission because other trucks did the same thing, NOT! Without TransEngineer's information regarding converter drainback and the spin-on filter, I probably would have had to live with this issue. Hopefully Chrysler/Ram will get a TSB out and other Ram owners won't have to deal with the troubleshooting issues in the future.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seems to be fixed

This morning I had no problems with the transmission. I was able to back out of the garage immediately after starting the truck. I hope it was parked long enough to be a good test. I ran a late errand last night and had to be at work early this morning. The next few days should give me a definitive answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
a little late to this thread ,but

Hello All
My 1500 Laramie 4X4 Hemi does this almost every cold start . Parked nose down in driveway first gear does not feel like it's engaged. Only lasts a few seconds . I will use the remote start to warm her up a bit and
next winter will use the engine block heater overnight.

Dante :wavey:

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Hello All
My 1500 Laramie 4X4 Hemi does this almost every cold start . Parked nose down in driveway first gear does not feel like it's engaged. Only lasts a few seconds . I will use the remote start to warm her up a bit and
next winter will use the engine block heater overnight.

Dante :wavey:
Using the engine block heater will not change the slow engagement. The fix is to have the spin-on filter in the transmission replaced. This is not something you need to do right away (the trans is not actually slipping [although it feels like it is], so the slow engagement does not damage anything). But have it fixed when it's convenient for you. In the meantime, letting the truck idle in Park for 30 seconds or so (after a cold start) should alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with my 2015 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins with 3400 miles on it and took it to Garber Dodge where I also said it was bucking going steady at a low speed so they said there was SB on the bucking and did a reprogram and said that fixed both problems. The next morning I still experienced the sluggish engagement so took it back, left it over night and went back in the mornig to get one of the mechanics to drive it, he experenced it, but said he had not experienced that problem in another truck( I think that is what they say for any problem) so their solution is to replacie the body valve. It is on back order, so I am waiting and will see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with my 2015 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins with 3400 miles on it and took it to Garber Dodge where I also said it was bucking going steady at a low speed so they said there was SB on the bucking and did a reprogram and said that fixed both problems. The next morning I still experienced the sluggish engagement so took it back, left it over night and went back in the mornig to get one of the mechanics to drive it, he experenced it, but said he had not experienced that problem in another truck( I think that is what they say for any problem) so their solution is to replacie the body valve. It is on back order, so I am waiting and will see if that fixes the problem.
Ask them to just replace the spin-on filter (a ~$20 part) while they're waiting for your backordered valve body to come in. The valve body (a ~$650 part) will not fix it. The filter should fix you up, and hopefully save Chrysler a bunch of unnecessary warranty expense.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts