DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn V8 5.7 Hemi. Does anyone know what’s the usual temperature that the trasmition runs? The help will be really appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Not positive but if I remember from looking at it the other day it is some where around 150-160. My oil and water temp is pretty close to each other and the trans was lower.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My 2016 Outdoorsman wants to maintain a trans temp of about 195-196.
That is the temp that the shutters will open and close to begin cooling of the trans.
There are other parameters that will open and close the shutters but if they are below setpoint, the trans temp of 196 will open the shutters.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
176-196 Fahrenheit is the operating temperature range for the 8 speeds

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Mine must run hot. It's always above 200, most of the time 210-215.

If you have the hemi, then something isn't right. I have a 16 Outdoorsman and my trans never gets over 203 and that is towing over the mountains at high speed.

Are you sure you aren't looking at your coolant??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine must run hot. It's always above 200, most of the time 210-215.

I'd say take it to the dealer, but doubt it will be of any help. I thought I had a transmission Temp issue (was actually looking at my oil temp). Anyway, called the dealer to ask what normal temp range was for the tranny because I (thought) was hitting 230's. Long story short, i went round and round with customer care and 2 different dealers, and no one could give me an answer other than, if you didn't get a temp light, you are fine, even if your hitting 230. On a recent trip through the smokies, I never got above 200 going with outside temp of 97 degrees. So yeah, i think you got an issue, but doubt you will get much help.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you have the hemi, then something isn't right. I have a 16 Outdoorsman and my trans never gets over 203 and that is towing over the mountains at high speed.

Are you sure you aren't looking at your coolant??
I'd say take it to the dealer, but doubt it will be of any help. I thought I had a transmission Temp issue (was actually looking at my oil temp). Anyway, called the dealer to ask what normal temp range was for the tranny because I (thought) was hitting 230's. Long story short, i went round and round with customer care and 2 different dealers, and no one could give me an answer other than, if you didn't get a temp light, you are fine, even if your hitting 230. On a recent trip through the smokies, I never got above 200 going with outside temp of 97 degrees. So yeah, i think you got an issue, but doubt you will get much help.
I will ask them about it next time I am there for something else. No warning lights and i have plenty of warranty left so I'm not really worried about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts