DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I setup the WDH today to tow my travel trailer.

I did have to move the hitch head up a notch to make up a 2.5 inch difference of the last truck.

Prior to adjustment

The height from the ground to the edge of the rear wheel well was 38".
The height from the ground to the edge of the front wheel well was 37".

After adjustment

The height from the ground to the edge of the rear wheel well was 37".
The height from the ground to the edge of the front wheel well was 37".

The rear should be 37 1/2 " after the adjustment and fully setup ... but I can live with 1/2 inch.

I also needed a new brake controller. In my opinion the OEM is a total waste of money. I believe it is a time delayed controller. I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 360 degree proportional controller for 100 bucks less than the OEM including the cable which took literally 3 minutes to install. Anyone who has towed with the proportional knows it out performs the time delayed hands down without question. Gonna test ride on Friday morning. The camper needs a repair so that will also be a good time for the CAT scale.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Glad you got it all set up. That minor adjustment is perfect for air bags to take up and solidify....

Regarding the controller, I used Only the Prodigy prior to this truck that came with it built in. The Prodigy is a great controller no doubt. If I didn't have the built in, I would do the same. BUT, the factory controller is absolutely better than the Prodigy IMO. Yes, it's on a new truck with new brakes etc., but if you adjust it in the EVIC properly, the response is fantastic. AND, IIRC, it ties the trailer brakes into the vehicle ABS..

~~ But in your situation, the Prodigy is a great choice :)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The way I understand Proportional is that the more you apply the trucks brakes, the more the controller applies to the trailer. So, Yes it is. you can see it in the EVIC. You have to set the controller for the type of trailer you have and then you can adjust the 'gain'. There is even a setting for Light or Heavy.

On a side note: The factory controller in the RAM is WAY better than the factory controller in the Super Duty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.