DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 1500 Express with 4k miles

Noticed a few times over the weekend that my key fob would not remove from the ignition once I turned off the truck. It was as if the system didn't recognize that it was in park. I put it in reverse then back in park, and everything worked fine.

But I'm concerned that the truck didn't recognize that I was in park. Anyone else hear/experience this?

Peace

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've noticed my "key" not coming out of the port easily every once in awhile, but it seems to have been more positioning of the key in the port. It appears that the key is somewhat exacting in its removal position. I've not had to fiddle with the gear shift, however...just be more careful on the key position.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not sure why passive entry was not an option, my wife's GC has it and it's awesome. All you have to do is have the key in your pocket and when you touch the door handle, it unlocks it, then just push a button to start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had it happen more than once. I have found that if I start it back up, and then actually move the vehicle (only a little, say out of the parking spot and back in) that it comes right out. Frustrating though.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
in 2013 the key won't have to be in the ignition

That doesn't help you now though
My '09 just hangs when i am not in Park

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine's been a bit persnickety to remove on occasion, but nothing a little wiggling hasn't cured.

Overall, I dislike the the key itself very much. It, and the switch in the dash, feel cheap and plastic (probably because they are plastic). I would rather have a good old fashioned key over this cheap, new one.... even though I'm sure they ain't cheap if you ever have to get a replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Several members here have had that problem. It usually turns out that the shifter wasn't completely in Park position. So, putting it in drive and back to park firmly should fix it.:smileup:
Thats exactly correct when it happens again just push the shift lever up a little bit and it will go into park completely and the key will come rite out. I have had this problem a couple of times but it s user error not a problem with the truck. I happen to like the key cause is les things on the key chain.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yes, this is a safety feature and is mandated by an FMVSS standard. The key cannot be removed unless the transmission is completely in Park.

And once the key is out, the trans is locked in Park, and cannot be shifted out (under normal circumstances) until the key is re-inserted, turned to the ON/RUN position, and the brake is pressed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have noticed that the key fob is a bit of a PITA sometimes to INSERT.....

Seriously, they should have gone push button or just use a regular key....LOL
Actually, you can use a regular key with the setup on our trucks. I bought a couple of blank chipped keys on eBay, and had my dealer cut and program them. The keys cost $20 each, and the dealer charged me $40 to cut/program the pair. The fob slot will take a regular metal key.

Darin

·
Registered
839 Posts
Actually, you can use a regular key with the setup on our trucks. I bought a couple of blank chipped keys on eBay, and had my dealer cut and program them. The keys cost $20 each, and the dealer charged me $40 to cut/program the pair. The fob slot will take a regular metal key.

Darin
Really? My FOBs came with regualr keys as well (plus the hideaway key inside them).....I tried the regualr key in the FOB slot but it didnt seem to want to go...

I will have to try again and see...... :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
698 Posts

Darin
Now that's interesting...didn't know about the key option.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
I myself havnt ran into this problem at all in the first 1100 miles over the last month. Honestly I hate and LOVE the key FOB. One hand sometimes I would like a hard metal key that would ICOE start my truck no matter what...

THEN on the other hand I feel like im in Star Wars. I occasionally get in my truck while nobody's looking and say to myself "Ignition, 3...2...1... ENGAGE" hahahahahaha But thats kind of what you have to do when the stinking things cost 500+ dollars each... You have to get your smiles out of them some how right?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the replies. It does in fact come out when I "re-park" the tranny. I have just never had a problem putting a vehicle in park before.

But now that I've learned that it won't end up leaving me screwed by not being able to remove the FOB, my concern is greatly diminished.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I myself havnt ran into this problem at all in the first 1100 miles over the last month. Honestly I hate and LOVE the key FOB. One hand sometimes I would like a hard metal key that would ICOE start my truck no matter what...

THEN on the other hand I feel like im in Star Wars. I occasionally get in my truck while nobody's looking and say to myself "Ignition, 3...2...1... ENGAGE" hahahahahaha But thats kind of what you have to do when the stinking things cost 500+ dollars each... You have to get your smiles out of them some how right?
On that $500 price deal, when I bought my truck in November, the dealer told me I had to buy this key loss package they had. I asked how much the key cost. They said $200. I said how much is the key loss policy. They said $200. I told them "no thanks", I'll just buy the key when/if I lose it. I've never lost one of these modern keys or key fobs setups on any of my vehicles. It's just my wife and I...no kids. The weird thing is that the dealer inserted this key policy into the price of my vehicle anyway and reduced the price of the truck accordingly. They said they don't let any vehicle leave on a new purchase without this policy, as it has caused more bad feelings when/if a key is lost and has to be purchased...so...they just eat the price of the policy when they run into a curmudgeon like me. And no, it's not a scam. I got this separate paperwork outlining this policy and it's coverage for up to one key a year for 5 years. Funny stuff.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
On that $500 price deal, when I bought my truck in November, the dealer told me I had to buy this key loss package they had. I asked how much the key cost. They said $200. I said how much is the key loss policy. They said $200. I told them "no thanks", I'll just buy the key when/if I lose it. I've never lost one of these modern keys or key fobs setups on any of my vehicles. It's just my wife and I...no kids. The weird thing is that the dealer inserted this key policy into the price of my vehicle anyway and reduced the price of the truck accordingly. They said they don't let any vehicle leave on a new purchase without this policy, as it has caused more bad feelings when/if a key is lost and has to be purchased...so...they just eat the price of the policy when they run into a curmudgeon like me. And no, it's not a scam. I got this separate paperwork outlining this policy and it's coverage for up to one key a year for 5 years. Funny stuff.
Hmm down here in Texas, the key comes out to 763.87USD for a brand new one. I was actually charge for getting the second key? I had to come back the next day and pick it up... It was 500 dollars ontop of the trucks price? I also opted to go with the replace a key incentive, but it was the platinum care package, that came with Wheel pertection that no matter ,if i went out and bought 4grand worth of offroad tires and rims, i could hit a giant pot whole bust my tire and completely FUBAR my rim along with it they would replace that aftermarket rim and tire combo with a brand new one. Also applied to the stock rim and tire, and i thought that was an amazing deal! Ontop of that the platinum package came with ding and scratch protection where they would completely clay sand or whatever buffing the scratches out for me, was like 20 extra dollars a month in the end. But anyways the package came with key protection where i could get it replaced no questions asked as they were 700+ dollars...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts