DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to sound overly dramatic, or like I am complaining, but how hard is it to fix a truck? I have had my truck about 1.5 years. Since even before then, I have loved Rams. It has been my dream truck. Now that I have one, it is turning into a nightmare. I am not sure if this is because of my lousy deal's service dept. or the truck. I still very much love my truck, but I am getting tired of it.

I finally got it back last Friday after 9 days total at the shop trying to find a noise. I know it takes time, and I have been very calm through out the process, but they still have not totally fixed it.

The first time they fixed the noise issue, the overlooked the bad CV joint boot. I FOUND IT. They had to replace the half axel. Today, I decided to change my own oil because it works about to be about the same cost. Upon looking around, I noticed the ball joint (I think that's what it is, right under the lower A-arm) the boot is bad, they are going to have to replace that. Another thing that wasn't broken until my dealer had it. Also, as I was looking around I noticed oil, as if I had a leak. On a 22K mile truck?? So I drained the oil. As I was getting ready to tighten the wrench on the filter, the filter just screwed off!! There was no tension on it at all. A 3 year old could have taken my filter off. That's where my oil leak was. The only people to change the oil in the truck before today was my dealer. Lets just say, I will never be going back to them for anything.

I hate to say it, but they have lost me as a service customer, and maybe as a returning Ram buyer from here.
My advice is if you don't do your oil changes, make sure you can trust those working on your vehicle.
Kind of at a loss...

·
Registered
8,602 Posts
wow sorry you had a bad experience, unfortunately there are some dishonest dealers out there. id suggest trying another one before giving up i have had a horrible experience with one Chrysler dealer in my area and i felt as you did but i gave another dealer a chance and met an awesome, helpful, friendly staff that bends over backwards to help me.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I understand you pain when came to Dealer service department. On my last oil change they left the oil filter loose, I found out on the next morning when I spot oil on my new drive way. Now I got drive shaft problems and they have not a clue how to fix it, because there is not a warning light on. Tired.......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry to deliver the bad news, but it's not just the dealer you deal with. It's the entire industry. I've been wrenching for 20 years now and you would be amazed at the stupid stuff I see kids do today. The combination of underskilled kids, combined with a service department that rushes every job so that they can get more jobs in the door results in the poor service you receive today. If you can change your own oil, go for it! If you can do your own services that aren't covered under warranty, go for it! The personal touch that you will apply to your own vehicle will far exceed what you will get at the dealer. On the other hand though, don't f__k up your vehicle and expect the dealer to fix it for free. Also, if you can figure out what that noise is or see a noticeable problem, let them know so that they can fix it. I get myself a list together before I take my truck in for warranty service. That way I limit the number of trips. Fortunately I have had nothing other than a couple reflashes that needed done.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Spot on Hollywud, I believe the kids that are being hired by these dealerships are far under qualified to do much of anything, even a simple oil change. They just don't have the passion, drive, or pride that past generations had. It's a sad reality, but it is fairly common no matter which brand you drive. It's more common than not and it sucks for what we pay for vehicles these days to have to tolerate the incompetence that we are forced to deal with with each trip to the dealer. My suggestion is to get the general manager or even owner of the dealership involved with your repairs. You can rebuild a truck from top to bottom front to back in 9 days! That is completely unacceptable. My truck finally got fixed when I got the owner of the dealership involved. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts