DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my key fob in the ignition switch I have to wriggle it around a little in order to get the dash lights to come on.

As soon as they come on I can start the truck. Though sometimes it dies right after starting because the key isn't being held at the right angle and/or I'm not applying the right amount of pressure.
If I immediately slam the truck into gear it doesn't die. Lately, I have had to quickly put the truck in gear so that I can drive it.

I have a 2012 RAM 2500 and it is NOT a push button.

I don't think these are related BUT I'll note that my clock spring is bad and has been bad for over a year. The backlights in the steering wheel and cruise control work about 80% of the time but go out when I turn the steering wheel too much.

Any help would be appreciated.
I replaced the battery in the key fob.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So a little update. Although I can drive for hours once started...I was playing around in a parking lot last night.

When I wriggle the key (very slightly) in drive the truck stops.

It's getting harder and harder to start it. I have a new key ordered but that won't be here and programmed till Monday. =(

Crossing my fingers it's just a bad key fob.

I don't know what to troubleshoot next if it's not.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
When I put my key fob in the ignition switch I have to wriggle it around a little in order to get the dash lights to come on.

As soon as they come on I can start the truck. Though sometimes it dies right after starting because the key isn't being held at the right angle and/or I'm not applying the right amount of pressure.
If I immediately slam the truck into gear it doesn't die. Lately, I have had to quickly put the truck in gear so that I can drive it.

I have a 2012 RAM 2500 and it is NOT a push button.

I don't think these are related BUT I'll note that my clock spring is bad and has been bad for over a year. The backlights in the steering wheel and cruise control work about 80% of the time but go out when I turn the steering wheel too much.

Any help would be appreciated.
I replaced the battery in the key fob.
Hi tmartens,

I regret to hear of the trouble you are experiencing with your truck. While I know that you are reaching out to fellow forum members on this, if you are unable to determine a solution, I kindly recommend following up with the trained techs at your local Ram dealer for further assistance. If you do engage with your local dealer, please know that our team would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
4 Posts
Although my ignition switch troubles were a bit different, thought I'd relate my experience, hopefully it helps.
My ignition switch suddenly became very, very hard to turn when either of my 2 factory key fobs were inserted.
Short story is, dealer installed new switch in dash. Fobs (insertable "keys") work fine now. Suspect you need same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts