DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a manual or "how to" on getting the voice recognition to work when using the phone system through blue tooth. It asks for "name or number" and no matter how clearly I pronounce the name it comes back with numbers. Also, if I pause for more that a second (usually to try and remember the number), it comes back to me with 2 or 3 digits. What phone system in the world excepts only 2 or 3 digits?

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
the RER radio in my Ram did the same thing
i tried the voice training on several occasions

then i updated the radio with a CD
i now have no issues using speech commands & it also gave me other functions that i did not know that i had

The 3 letters are on the face of your radio, lower right corner
RER, RHR, RHB, RBZ, RES
are the normal radios used in Gen 4 Rams

·
Registered
212 Posts
what is this CD you speak of? is it something the dealer has? this has been an ongoing problem since new with my RBZ and all im ever told, is there is no trouble code displayed.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
First off, we have a member, XSDBS, that drops in from time to time, they are on a couple other forums also, they seem to take on several radio & Uconnect issues. If you see XSBDS commenting on Uconnect problems, it is usually something that XSDBS researched or is researching, whether it a regular cell phone or a Smart phone

I went to a website that usually has the updates first, http://mofv.com/mygig/
I didn't see any current updates for the RBZ Mygig radio
This does not mean that is no way to make your MYGIG radio work better with your phone
By the way, a CD update for one MYGIG radio, will not work with any other MYGIG, like a CD for the RER, will not work with a RHR, RHB, or RBZ, etc

A search on this site for member XSDBS, should bring up different radio subjects, i will do a quick search for XSDBS & the MYGIG RBZ

all this came up in the search, it will take some sorting out

http://www.ramforumz.com/search.php?searchid=2103975

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured out what the missing link was...my brain.

Didn't realize you had to "train" Uconnect with each name and attached number. I was thinking it would it would pass along my attempt at pronunciation directly to my droidX who would dutifully pull up the right number.

I guess we are a few years out from that technology.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My next quest is to determine the upper limit on number of phone numbers it can hold; I've got a bunch of em.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Thanks for mentioning me GT Yankee.
Hello Thomasn,
I need to ask a couple of questions to clarify and fully understand your last 2 replies. I do think that there is a misunderstanding of the Uconnect system.
1) You mentioned "having to train Uconnect with the name and number of the contact". (This is incorrect)
2) When you sre "training Uconnect", are you pressing the Uconnect button and saying PB, then when asked about it by Uconnect, you are saying "new entry"?
3) What network are you on, (I'm gonna say Verizon, could be wrong though).
What I am somewhat led to believe is that you're not training Uconnect, but that you are actually storing the name & number into the Uconnect local phonebook.
Uconnect has 2 phonebooks that it uses.
1) The first is the phonebook library that is downloaded from your phone. This library can hold up to 1,000 contacts with up to 4 number locations each. EX:
GTYankee : Home #######
Work #######
Cell #######
Pager #######

2) The 2nd phonebook is the Uconnect local phonebook. This is a memory storage within the Uconnect memory. It will hold up to 32 contacts and with up to 4 number locations for eah contact.

Now what I believe that you are actually doing is placing the contacts that you are listing to Uconnect into the local pb.

Ok, so now lets move back to the original issue. You mentioned that when you say "call David (ex) that Uconnect will come back with some numbers", correct? Normally when this happens, your pb wasn't downloaded to Uconnect.
When you were in the pairing process, once you had inputed the pin #, Uconnect probably said "pairing complete", the next thing that you need to do is be patient and wait a minute or 2. There is a lot of information going on in the air between Uconnect and the phone. Basically Uconnect is asking "hey phone, what profiles do you support". Then the phone says, "I support pbap, A2DP, AVRCP, etc", then they agree on what is supported between them and bond. After this then Uconnect send a request to download your pb contacts. There is a dialog box that normally pops up and you would select "always & accept". Then the pb is dpwnloaded. Depending on how many contacts and the amount of numbers for each, the download could take a couple minutes to complete. You will know that the pb has been downloaded completely when you press the Uconnect button and say "phonebook, list names". If the pb is downloaded, then Uconnect will start reading of the names.
On the Droid phones, I don't 100% remember if there is an actual dialog box that pops up, but I think that actually there is a small "Droid chime" and in the upper pull down menu, you'll see a "PBAP request" there, clock it and then select both "always & accept".
In order to get this straight and working correctly, I would start your pairing from scratch, meaning delete Uconnect from the phone. Then press the Uconnect button, say set up, phone pairing, delete phone". You'll be asked the name of the phone, I would just say "all". Then Uconnect will take a minute or so, then reply deleted.
Now start the fresh pairing session and be sure to watch for the PBAP request in the end.
Hope this helps.
**** Added note - Delete the names # numbers that you have entered manually, they could cause issues now. (press the Uconnect button and say, "phonebook, then when asked say delete all" .

I figured out what the missing link was...my brain.

Didn't realize you had to "train" Uconnect with each name and attached number. I was thinking it would it would pass along my attempt at pronunciation directly to my droidX who would dutifully pull up the right number.

I guess we are a few years out from that technology.
My next quest is to determine the upper limit on number of phone numbers it can hold; I've got a bunch of em.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts
On my RER radio, i went into MENU
there is actually voice training listed in the MENU

When the powers that be, that made the radio, whether it is Mitsubishi, Harmon Becker, or who ever, they needed to use voices for the phone & navigation, that could be understood by everyone that speaks English.
They pick a person that has no noticeable accent, like someone that was born & raised in OHIO.
So the vocal software or firmware, whatever it is called really only understands a voice from OHIO.
So now i want to speak to my radio & i am from Connecticut & as hard as i try, i can't say QUARTER without everyone chuckling, same goes for a person from Massachusetts saying PARK, or a person from Ontario Canada saying ABOUT
Now you are in a area where all the names are either in Spanish or American Indian language or a tune by Julio Iglesias, the communication can't comprehend what you are trying to tell it.

When you are voice training the communication software, it asks you to count to 9 starting with 0
then i think it asks you to say the alphabet & then some words or phrases
now it knows more about how you pronounce number, words, & some other things
It still will ask you to repeat things like Julio Iglesias, it will ask you, Do you mean Julia *****, you of course say NO, then if everything is working right, it will ask you to SPELL it

That my friends is Voice Training

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate both of you guys (xsdbs & GTyankee) weighing in. You have given me a lot to gnaw on. And yes GTyankee, being from SC, "gnaw" is the right word.

My son set me up with blue tooth originally, so I'm going to take xsdbs's advice and start from scratch.

Couple of things I can answer off the bat.

Yes on (2). Verizon it right on (3). Based on your description, I have been filling up the "Uconnect local phonebook" and would have pegged it at 32 and known it if the "honey do" list hadn't taken priority today.

"On the Droid phones, I don't 100% remember if" .... I will let you know how this pans out. Will probably be next weekend as this week is full.

GTyankee, mine is a RBZ and I haven't seen "voice training" listed anywhere. That's not to say it's not there (I've only had my truck for 3 weeks, so I'm still getting my arms around it). But I understand what you are saying about the training/local thing. I mean I doubt that your's would understand me being south of the Mason Dixon line and all.

·
Registered
801 Posts
because the voice training is part of the Uconnect system and is an external module, you won't fing the voice trianing on the radio menu. You'll need to press the Uconnect button and say "set up, voice training". Then you'll be led thru the menu with the needed steps.

I really appreciate both of you guys (xsdbs & GTyankee) weighing in. You have given me a lot to gnaw on. And yes GTyankee, being from SC, "gnaw" is the right word.

My son set me up with blue tooth originally, so I'm going to take xsdbs's advice and start from scratch.

Couple of things I can answer off the bat.

Yes on (2). Verizon it right on (3). Based on your description, I have been filling up the "Uconnect local phonebook" and would have pegged it at 32 and known it if the "honey do" list hadn't taken priority today.

"On the Droid phones, I don't 100% remember if" .... I will let you know how this pans out. Will probably be next weekend as this week is full.

GTyankee, mine is a RBZ and I haven't seen "voice training" listed anywhere. That's not to say it's not there (I've only had my truck for 3 weeks, so I'm still getting my arms around it). But I understand what you are saying about the training/local thing. I mean I doubt that your's would understand me being south of the Mason Dixon line and all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did the steps you suggested xsdbs, but still no phone list.

I first did the deleted all of the phone entries I put in a couple of days ago; that worked.
Next I deleted all phones; that worked.
I next paired the phone again, entered pin # and got the "pairing complete" almost immediately. On my Uconnect screen it displayed the clock (which I have configured to do when it's turned off). I waited five minutes (as there was no feedback either on the Uconnect screen or my phone (droidX,verizon) that it was still doing its thing). I never got the "always & accept" or "droid chime".
And as confirmation that it didn't work, I got no listings saying "phonebook, list names".

I tried it three times all with the same results.

Do you think there is something to GTyankee's suggestion that I may need a sofeware upgrade? My phone is almost two years old. Think the issue might be there?

I'm also toying the idea of upgrading the RZB to a unit that has NAV. Price would have to be right to follow thru (if it is even possible).

·
Registered
801 Posts
In the settings menu, scroll down to "about phone", can you tell me the Android version and the SW version? Do you know if you have the most current phone SW? I know there was an OTA update late last year or early this year for the DX.
Having the radio updated is helpful but it's not going to be the issue here. The reason is because the Uconnect for your radio is an external module, GT's Uconnect is built into the radio. So we have to different formats here. The radio isn't the issue at this point and you changing to the RHB which would be a direct plug N play setup won't fix it either. (even though having Nav ins nice, it's not going to cure the phone issue) Let me look more into this for you. One of my coworkers has the DX, I'll borrow it for a few minutes later today.

I did the steps you suggested xsdbs, but still no phone list.

I first did the deleted all of the phone entries I put in a couple of days ago; that worked.
Next I deleted all phones; that worked.
I next paired the phone again, entered pin # and got the "pairing complete" almost immediately. On my Uconnect screen it displayed the clock (which I have configured to do when it's turned off). I waited five minutes (as there was no feedback either on the Uconnect screen or my phone (droidX,verizon) that it was still doing its thing). I never got the "always & accept" or "droid chime".
And as confirmation that it didn't work, I got no listings saying "phonebook, list names".

I tried it three times all with the same results.

Do you think there is something to GTyankee's suggestion that I may need a sofeware upgrade? My phone is almost two years old. Think the issue might be there?

I'm also toying the idea of upgrading the RZB to a unit that has NAV. Price would have to be right to follow thru (if it is even possible).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xsdbs, I really appreciate your tenacity.

I didn't see a "Software version", but I did find these...

Android version: 2.3.4
System version: 4.5.621.MB810.Verizon.en.US
Baseband version: BP_C_01.09.15P
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-g1282440 [email protected] #1
ERI version: 5
PRL version: 52522

I'm not sure if this is the latest software. I would wager a yes as it seems to download a version of itself every several months.

·
Registered
801 Posts
well, you're certainly welcome. I figure that if (when) we get this worked out that We will have both learned something and I really don't mind learning.
I am picking up my coworkers DX tomorrow morning before she goes into her meetings and I'll compare the SW verions then run thru a little testing, ok.
These phones all call the same thing by different names. In this case the SW version is called the "system version", the kernal version can also be a section of the SW version.
I'll get back with you tomorrow. :smileup:

I'm not sure if this is the latest software. I would wager a yes as it seems to download a version of itself every several months.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Alrighty now. I borrowed the DX, checked the SW and hers is the same as yours. I went thru the pairing and there is a phonebook request, once the menu is scrolled down, then you'll see the PBAP request. I made a short, non professional video on the steps. check it out and I hope it helps you out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imPVdL_xA84

well, you're certainly welcome. I figure that if (when) we get this worked out that We will have both learned something and I really don't mind learning.
I am picking up my coworkers DX tomorrow morning before she goes into her meetings and I'll compare the SW verions then run thru a little testing, ok.
These phones all call the same thing by different names. In this case the SW version is called the "system version", the kernal version can also be a section of the SW version.
I'll get back with you tomorrow. :smileup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bingo!

The step that I missed was seeing the "Phone book request" on the title bar and pulling that down. Once I went thru those steps it worked.

Man, I really appreciate your help on this.

·
Registered
801 Posts
:smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup:

As Emril would say "BAM".
Told ya we'd get it taken care of, just took a little working thru.
Strange thing, I don't know why that video got placed twice in that post.
Anyway, cool. Glad I was able to help you out. Let me know if you have any other questions ok and I'll do my best to help.

Bingo!

The step that I missed was seeing the "Phone book request" on the title bar and pulling that down. Once I went thru those steps it worked.

Man, I really appreciate your help on this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the settings menu, scroll down to "about phone", can you tell me the Android version and the SW version? Do you know if you have the most current phone SW? I know there was an OTA update late last year or early this year for the DX.
Having the radio updated is helpful but it's not going to be the issue here. The reason is because the Uconnect for your radio is an external module, GT's Uconnect is built into the radio. So we have to different formats here. The radio isn't the issue at this point and you changing to the RHB which would be a direct plug N play setup won't fix it either. (even though having Nav ins nice, it's not going to cure the phone issue) Let me look more into this for you. One of my coworkers has the DX, I'll borrow it for a few minutes later today.
Just tried the voice training work fine BIG thanks to all you guys:smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts