DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 5.7 outdoorsman 4x4, recently spider gears exploded, ended up with an aburn rear center and now just gave out as well. Think it鈥檚 the gear and pinion but just trying to find one that fits is impossible. Window sticker says it has 3.21 gears but seeing a lot of conflict on how they didn鈥檛 use the 3.21s for the v8. Any help would be appreciated

Registered
That鈥檚 too bad that you鈥檙e having trolls with your gears. I have a 2014 that has the V-8 and 3,21 gears in it. I haven鈥檛 had any trouble with them yet.

Registered
IDK where you heard that "3.21 aren't available with V8 "

but that's Plain Wrong

Registered
A couple of questions first is do you tow heavy? The second is are you hot rodding the truck always flooring the accelerator?

The 3.21 ratio is more for fuel economy than heavy towing or heavy acceleration all the time. If you do either of those two things I would look at upgrading to a 3.92 gear ratio. and make sure you have a shop that knows what they are doing install them, if they are not set up right they will fail in short order.

Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
Buy a ZF9.25 Eaton truetrac and forget about it. Auburn has had a lot of quality problems. *edit- Make sure you check your ring and pinion teeth for damage

I would put a new pinion bearing and crush sleeve in just for confirmation on complete rebuild, a properly setup torsen will outlast the vehicle.

Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Express 5.7 8Spd
all 8 spd hemis came with 3.21 unless you optioned a different ratio. so not unheard of, my diff is currently making some unhappy noises so looking where to get the true track and a ring and pinion set for a rebuild, any pointers would be appreciated, dont wanna put a clutch type in unless i have to

Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
all 8 spd hemis came with 3.21 unless you optioned a different ratio. so not unheard of, my diff is currently making some unhappy noises so looking where to get the true track and a ring and pinion set for a rebuild, any pointers would be appreciated, dont wanna put a clutch type in unless i have to
The carrier is literally plug and play.

1. Remove cover/drain inspect
2. Measure existing backlash between 0.005-.011鈥
3. Paint pinion/ring gears for contact patches
4. Remove adjuster retainer brackets and back off driver side adjuster a few revolutions
5. Punch(mark) bearing cap orientation and remove end caps, carrier will FALL out
6. Remove and replace ring gear onto new carrier(155 ft-lbs) presumed new carrier bearings/outer race
7. Install, *tighten driver side adjuster to 75 ft-lbs torque(see custom preload tool) to replicate factory backlash

Pinion re-assembly is by the book. 210 ft-pound on the nut, then hold the yoke to crush the sleeve for preload with a large breaker to verify rotational torque spec. ~20 in-lbs

Registered
I would stay away from yukon gear as well. Unless you want it to look like this. I went through 2 in 13 months! I have a mopar dif in it now but I am going with an Eaton in the near future.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A couple of questions first is do you tow heavy? The second is are you hot rodding the truck always flooring the accelerator?

The 3.21 ratio is more for fuel economy than heavy towing or heavy acceleration all the time. If you do either of those two things I would look at upgrading to a 3.92 gear ratio. and make sure you have a shop that knows what they are doing install them, if they are not set up right they will fail in short order.
I moderately pull a trailer now and then and not very far nothing super heavy normally the drag car to the drag strip looked into 3.92 swap but I don鈥檛 mind the 3.21 gears for what I do

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buy a ZF9.25 Eaton truetrac and forget about it. Auburn has had a lot of quality problems. *edit- Make sure you check your ring and pinion teeth for damage

I would put a new pinion bearing and crush sleeve in just for confirmation on complete rebuild, a properly setup torsen will outlast the vehicle.
View attachment 138528
After the aburn I鈥檓 gonna look into this after installing and thinking I was alright after a few days literally ran into the same problem again but even worse believe the pinion is toast now. Looking to find 3.21s and another rear diff just can鈥檛 find anything anywhere

1 - 10 of 10 Posts