DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No lights in the corners near the tail lights. I found the plug in the driver side, passenger side must be tucked away. Bought it used from the dealer with around 4K miles.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am guessing so or the dealership removed them. I'll probably never know. I wonder if I could just cut the end of the wires off and wire a aftermarket light? Might be cheaper. I think I might tell my sales person at the dealership. Doubt they will do anything.

Does it look like they were removed by previous owner? Your year and trim shoulda had them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just looked at the window sticker again, I made a mistake it was not listed, and the build sheet does not list them. I am guess the previous owner added them and removed them than, why else would I find the wire and plug tucked away in the corner?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
yeh i guess my express did not come with them i put in battery operated light switches in like from harbor fright $5.00 each and there led dam bright velcrowed to side of truck , but i have a backflip cover so they dont get wet but perfect for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 2017 Laramie 4x4 didn't come with them, though it did come with a bed liner so I don't know if that would cover them or not.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My 2016 came with them but the dealer put a bed liner in and covered them up. I got my sawzal and cut the bed liner out around the lights.

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I ordered my 17 Laramie the lights were an add-on.

Like with lots of things, there are standard wiring harnesses that are just easier to instal instead of separate ones for every option

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
So does the Express model have the wiring I would love to add that. Can't see anything at night under the bed cover
As I recall when I had my 15' Express and checked for the wiring, it was not there. I had found a kit on Ebay that I was about to buy, but ended up buying a new truck instead that already had the bed lighting. I also needed new tires, so it was worth it. :doh:

Also, I believe I read that if you install the kit yourself, you still have to go to the dealer and have the sales code added to the computer of your truck so that they are functional. Not sure if that is true or not, but one of the Ebay reviews I read about the kit said this was the case.

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,606 Posts
So does the Express model have the wiring I would love to add that. Can't see anything at night under the bed cover.
I went down to Ft. Worth, TX to visit my son a few weeks ago, we installed the extra LED lights before I left. It was a pretty easy install, hooked them up so they operated from the cargo light switch on the dash along with the O.E.M bed lights I already have. Mine came with the truck.

The "beached whale" you see in the bed is me, working on hiding the wiring under the bed rails so it doesn't accidentally get yanked out.

This is a shot of the L.E.D.s on. It's a pretty easy mod.

Both of the harnesses attach into the main harness just below the back of the bed on both sides. We removed both of them to make the install a little easier so they could be soldered on the workbench. I am guessing, that is where you would find your harnesses?

IF there is a wiring harness already there, you'll have to removed the cover plate from where the O.E.M. lights should be installed and search for the harness. Or, you can look up under another Ram that already has the O.E.M. bed lights and trace the harness up into the bed?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Dang, I wish my dad would drive in from out of state and install bed lighting in my Ram

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,606 Posts
Dang, I wish my dad would drive in from out of state and install bed lighting in my Ram
Actually, it was more of a "short" family visit. But I was going to do that anyway, here in KS. It just gave us some time together before he transfers.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
2017 Silverado 1500 QC 4x4.
996 Posts
No lights in the corners near the tail lights. I found the plug in the driver side, passenger side must be tucked away. Bought it used from the dealer with around 4K miles.
Chances are all trucks are pre-wired for them, but only added if ordered.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
All of the Ram Trucks are pre wired for the bed lights.
I have a copy of the schematic for it. I need to find it and I will e-mail to who ever asks for it. I got it from my dealer. I bought the lights and installed them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts