DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a Napier Backroadz Truck Tent from Amazon for my RAM 2500. It is a 6-7 bed with Ram Boxes and the tent worked just perfectly. The Ram box creates nice shelves inside the tent once installed. There were one or two things I would do to redesign the tent but it has worked very nicely for a couple of weekend getaways.

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
666 Posts
I'd love to see pics. Thought about getting one before... but after breaking out the tent last summer, I think we are too old for that tent stuff anymore.

·
Registered
2021 ram 1500 warlock,5.7l ,4x4
116 Posts
Pics please the wife was just looking at those. I'm interested in getting one. What air mattress do you use for the bed?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, so allow me to do this. I will be camping this weekend in it and I will grab a few pics of the setup and post them up by Sunday. As for the air mattress. I purchased an Intex brand full size air mattress from Walmart for about $13. It fits like a glove and two people can sleep comfortably on it. I use an electric pump that I have had for years. You can buy a pump at Walmart, these are found in the camping/sporting goods section of any Walmart. Personally the new ones look weak to me but you may fine better. You want an electric pump that will inflate and deflate the air mattress. I don't buy expensive air mattresses but I can easily buy a second one and keep it in the truck just incase I put a hole in one. Frankly, the Intex ones have lasted me years without issue.

When you deflate it will be flat as a pancake and and easily be folded up and put back in the box. Personally I leave it out of the box and just tuck it in my Ram box along with the pump with no issues. That way I have it whenever I need it. BTW the air pump I have will power up and run fine off the RAM cargo outlet in the Ram box. So you can inflate the mattress anywhere at anytime. My wife and I will go star watching often, throw the mattress in the bed inflate it in about 1-2 minutes and lay back and enjoy the stars. The Slimline 9095 air pump is very nice, about $35 dollars. I just forget what I have.

So I will post some pics of the tent, mattress in place and the pump I have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok, so allow me to do this. I will be camping this weekend in it and I will grab a few pics of the setup and post them up by Sunday. As for the air mattress. I purchased an Intex brand full size air mattress from Walmart for about $13. It fits like a glove and two people can sleep comfortably on it. I use an electric pump that I have had for years. You can buy a pump at Walmart, these are found in the camping/sporting goods section of any Walmart. Personally the new ones look weak to me but you may fine better. You want an electric pump that will inflate and deflate the air mattress. I don't buy expensive air mattresses but I can easily buy a second one and keep it in the truck just incase I put a hole in one. Frankly, the Intex ones have lasted me years without issue.

When you deflate it will be flat as a pancake and and easily be folded up and put back in the box. Personally I leave it out of the box and just tuck it in my Ram box along with the pump with no issues. That way I have it whenever I need it. BTW the air pump I have will power up and run fine off the RAM cargo outlet in the Ram box. So you can inflate the mattress anywhere at anytime. My wife and I will go star watching often, throw the mattress in the bed inflate it in about 1-2 minutes and lay back and enjoy the stars. The Slimline 9095 air pump is very nice, about $35 dollars. I just forget what I have.

So I will post some pics of the tent, mattress in place and the pump I have.
That sounds great thank you for the information I will keep a eye out for the pics. I don't have any boxes in the bed of mine. At least I can get a better idea of how it looks. This is my first truck in 29 years and can't wait to do truck stuff lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here are the pictures I mentioned that I would post. I know I'm not in the right thread with a RAM 2500 but the HD guys don't have a camping thread, so here I am. I have the 6'-7" bed with RAM boxes. I love the RAM box and won't onw a truck without them. The bed width like in a truck without the boxes is just over 4 feet wide wheel well to wheel well. There entire bed is wide enough for a sheet of plywood.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

This is close up of the tonneau rail, note the sharp edge. I need to grind that and round off the corner. The tent will easily rip if it gets caught against that. I use a rag to cover the end and that works perfectly. Even with the rounded off edge, I will still use a rag there for extra protection.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Plant Bumper Automotive exterior

This is the tent set up, it takes about 20 minutes to complete.
I'm expecting to get to my camp site at dark this evening so I set the
\tent up first as you see. Stay with me

Cloud Sky Plant Building Tent

There are three sets of poles that have to be put in place to support the tent.
They are color coordinated to help you to put them in place following a
certain order, very easy. The poles are fiberglass and connect with an
elastic nylon cord that connects to each pole section. You just pull the pole
out of the bag and the sections just almost attach themselves like a rubber
band snapping into place.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud Sky

Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle Car

This the electric inflator/deflator I use to handle putting air into the mattress.
One end of the pump blows air out the other end draws air in, I'm
certain you all knew that. I can easily deflate the mattress in 90 secs.
or less.

Gas Cable Electrical wiring Wire Rope

Fortunately I can plug the pump into the power outlet in my RAM box
and power it up. It takes about 90 seconds to inflate or deflate the
mattress.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Here we are with the mattress inflated and in place. Two adults can
easily sleep on it without issue. I/m 5'-11" and my girlfriend is 6' and
we have no problem curling up with room to spare.

Furniture Couch Automotive tire Product Comfort

With the sheet and blanket in place just need to toss in a couple of pillows.
I have a battery operated fan/light that hangs from the top of the tent
that keep us cool during warm nights and provides plenty of light.
A rain cover is included with the tent it's just not attached at this point.

Tent Light Comfort Automotive design Automotive tire

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because I plan to arrive at the campsite when it's dark and
there may be some rain in the sky, I set everything up like
you saw above. Now I'm going to just pull the poles from the corner
pockets and lower the tent into the truck bed. That way when
arrive at the campsite I just have to raise it up and strap
it down.
Vehicle Tire Plant Hood Wheel

Here's a top picture of all the poles pulled from the corner
pockets and you can see how the tent poles easily
separate and allow the tent to sink into the bed but
remain in place for easy quick pop up.

Outerwear Purple Sleeve Grey T-shirt

With the tonneau cover in place and the mattress and
blanket in place. I should be set up in about a minute
and good to go.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Sky Building

The climb up to the bed is a tall stretch, so I carry a step
stool that I collapse and carefully lay on top of the tent and
mattress. I leave it all night outside and have some steps to get in
and out easily.

There are other truck bed tents that may be better quality, I will
consider another when I wear this one out one day. All the tie
down straps are attached to the tent and are easily adjusted.
Just one suggestion, leave the straps nice and slack until
you are ready to tie the tent down, no need to over tighten
anything.

If you have a regular truck bed without Ram boxes this tent will fill
up the entire truck bed. I would not recommend you buy a mattress that
is designed to go in the truck bed and completely cover the
entire bed. The ones that have the wheel well carved out and
inflates around it. They cost is close to $250,00. Plus using a mattress
like I did will leave the four corners of the bed open if you want to store
a few things. I just use the RAM box top as shelves.

For me this pre-set up works because I store my food and supplies in
the rear seat area so I can just pop the tent up and climb in.
You might have to make other adjustments if you pan to
assemble the tent from scratch once you arrive at your
campsite. Happy camping!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for the pics!! Whatbis the brand and model tent you use? Same with the air mattress? Looks like a nice setup. I did see those mattresses. That have the wheel well openings and I agree they are way to expensive. Thanks again for the information

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look in the very first post for the tent brand name I purchased and then google it for their website. Google tent bed tents as well and look for other brands, there are a couple that you may like better.

Air mattress description is in post #4. Best wishes.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Looks cool for a day or two. Glad it works for you. But I dont think me, the wife , the Aussie and muttly would fit well. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts