DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I couldn't find any info using the search function, I thought my peeps might give me some advice.

I own a '14 Ram 2500 crew cab short bed, 6.4l, 4wheel with air bags.

It is mostly used to carry an Artic Fox 811 and pulling a boat as well.

The truck/camper combination alone weighed in close to 12k pounds.

While the ride seems to be ok on smooth roads, what else could I do to make this a safe hauling experience?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Move up to a 3500 to increase your payload rating.

The camper alone is 2,900 pounds dry. With the camper in the bed and towing a boat, the camper's over-hang forces you to use an extender to tow the boat. You didn't say what kind of boat but given that an 18-foot outboard usually comes in around 4,500 pounds with a tongue weight of around 500 pounds I'd say you are well over the payload ratings of a 2500. Air bags do not increase a vehicle's payload rating.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Something is odd with the numbers. a CC SB 2500 4x4 weighs about 6700-7000 lbs.

According to this

http://northwoodmfg.com/truck-campers/arctic-fox-camper/af-camper-811/

The dry weight is 2873.

So That's between 9573-9873 lb gross. Plus some weight for water 8x50 is 400. Plus the driver and a passenger that's 300 lbs? so you are at 10273-10573 lbs. Sure, over the 10k GVWR limit. but where is the other 1500-2000 lb of payload coming from?

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,249 Posts
We haul an Arctic Fox 811 on the back of our 3500.
With the full wet weight of the 811 (including batteries, water, propane, supplies, tools, firewood etc) and then including people and the dog we're running real close to the payload capacity of the 3500, and that's without the tongue weight of towing anything.
I would not be comfortable with that payload on a 2500.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Something is odd with the numbers. a CC SB 2500 4x4 weighs about 6700-7000 lbs.

According to this

http://northwoodmfg.com/truck-campers/arctic-fox-camper/af-camper-811/

The dry weight is 2873.

So That's between 9573-9873 lb gross. Plus some weight for water 8x50 is 400. Plus the driver and a passenger that's 300 lbs? so you are at 10273-10573 lbs. Sure, over the 10k GVWR limit. but where is the other 1500-2000 lb of payload coming from?
It was fully loaded and gassed up for the camping trip and the scale read 11,380 lbs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We haul an Arctic Fox 811 on the back of our 3500.
With the full wet weight of the 811 (including batteries, water, propane, supplies, tools, firewood etc) and then including people and the dog we're running real close to the payload capacity of the 3500, and that's without the tongue weight of towing anything.
I would not be comfortable with that payload on a 2500.

What model/year do you use and what is the posted payload number? Checking into 3500s during my upcoming recall dealer visit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Move up to a 3500 to increase your payload rating.

The camper alone is 2,900 pounds dry. With the camper in the bed and towing a boat, the camper's over-hang forces you to use an extender to tow the boat. You didn't say what kind of boat but given that an 18-foot outboard usually comes in around 4,500 pounds with a tongue weight of around 500 pounds I'd say you are well over the payload ratings of a 2500. Air bags do not increase a vehicle's payload rating.

Your numbers are spot on.

But I would not carry a camper without airbags on my truck. Didn't have a good experience when I picked up my first camper, a Lance 865, which weighs around 2,100 lbs dry.

The truck swayed side to side bad enough during windy conditions to briefly stall the engine on my way home.

After installing the bags, wind or road conditions did not matter.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What model/year do you use and what is the posted payload number? Checking into 3500s during my upcoming recall dealer visit.
Our 3500 is the one in my profile - 2018 CC short bed with single rear wheels, 4WD and the 6.4 Hemi.
I don't remember the exact payload specs, but IIRC it's damn near exactly 4000lbs

I figure the 811 wet weight alone is somewhere around 3350. Add two fairly skinny people and a dog, then clothes and groceries for a week of boondocking and some firewood and tools etc, along with a couple of mountain bikes, and we're probably running pretty close to max.

I installed air bags to take out the squat when loaded and a rear anti-sway bar to suppress the side-to-side rolling, and we're real happy with the performance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Our 3500 is the one in my profile - 2018 CC short bed with single rear wheels, 4WD and the 6.4 Hemi.
I don't remember the exact payload specs, but IIRC it's damn near exactly 4000lbs

I figure the 811 wet weight alone is somewhere around 3350. Add two fairly skinny people and a dog, then clothes and groceries for a week of boondocking and some firewood and tools etc, along with a couple of mountain bikes, and we're probably running pretty close to max.

I installed air bags to take out the squat when loaded and a rear anti-sway bar to suppress the side-to-side rolling, and we're real happy with the performance.

Thank you sir.

We love the camper and want to achieve a safe and enjoyable ride performance.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
We love the camper and want to achieve a safe and enjoyable ride performance.
Yeah, the 811 is great. It's heavy compared to many for sure, but it's comfortable in any weather.
We use ours even in the dead of winter, and last winter we stayed cozy in 10 below temps on a couple of occasions. In those conditions you do have to run the generator for a bit every three days (or drive the truck) to keep the batteries topped off so you can run the furnace all night, but we've enjoyed the heck out of it so far.
And the 4WD 3500 with studded Cooper M+S tires will just about push snow with the front bumper if you have to. We're real happy with the combination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts