DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, been having a problem once in a blue moon when i turn the key or remote start the truck it cranks but wont start. i turn the key off then try again and starts right up. any idea's why this is happening?:4-dontknow: my brothers truck does the same thing! both are 2011 1500 sport . im taking it to the dealer on thursday to get it checked out but i don't trust they will find the issue

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
search for jacksnorth's posts on his troubles with the truck not starting just in case you are getting the same symptoms he did...he went through some serious :bsflag: before it looks like they finally fixed him up.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I think these two issues are completely unrelated. His truck wouldn't even turn over. This seems like a case where the computer isn't sending a signal to the distributor to fire the spark plugs. Or something along those lines...

·
Registered
355 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump...if it turns over or "cranks" and won't start or "fire up" it can only be one of 3 things: fuel, air, or spark. I had to go through HELL for them to replace my pump (no truck for 3 weeks) when it acted like it ran out of fuel with a full tank. I had been having issues occasionally where it would not start but would crank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i just got an 04 1500 hemi and its ran fine all week but today i went to start mine and it cranked over like it would almost start but nothing did it again and nothing but the 3rd time i gave it some gas while i cranked it and it started does this sound like fuel pump i just had them replace my spark plugs and throttle body before buying it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello yall,

I am having a similar issue.

The truck seems to turn over/crank and will do so for almost 20 minutes sometimes and others it immediately fires up.

It seems to be getting fuel or at least the pump seems to be running. I borrowed a code checker and realized it doesnt give me info i recognize to help me. Can someone read this and interpret what could be causing this thing to be so picky about when it wants to turn on?

These readings were the last time it wouldn't start.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
There is a well known issue with the fuel pump relay in the TIPM. Do a search and some posts can give you a way to test for it. Believe you take power from the accessory fuse to the pump side of the fuel pump fuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just put this up for a remote fob issue. I had the same thing, you can do a quick bypass on the tipm to verify... follow the links and as mine did you may have the same issue!

Mine was a faulty relay in the TIPM intially the fuel pump, but my remote start wasn't 100% working right. I believe your problem may be the TIPM fuel pump relay.... Mine was the fuel pump relay (engine would crank but no start) as I was doing my research, they stated that as well as the fuel pump/remote start there is another faulty relay in the TIPM for the door locks wipers & windows. I noticed I was having to keep hitting the remote start and finally it would hit and start. After replacing my fuel pump relay, I haven't had any issues with using my fob and the whole truck runs better and works great. The TIPM under the hood, had a faulty relay.... and of course the relay is soldered to a motherboard compared to just plug and replace like most vehicles. This issue was the same on Jeep Dodge Caravan & Durango which were recalled but not the Rams. Mopar is as bad as Ford when it comes to fixing what should be recalls! This is NOT a CHEAP fix to have done, however I did mine for 12 bucks for one relay off of amazon.com and took out the TIPM and de-soldered the bad relay and installed the new one. Wasn't that hard other than getting the TIPM out was a bit of a headache (didn't want to bust a 1000-1500 motherboard) but the enclosed website gave me options for replacement, patched fix, and which relay (new upgraded relay so does not happen again). If you are good with a soldering iron and a mechanical aptitude, I would give it a try.
Options & Info
http://www.verticalvisions.com/tipm-fuel-relay-solutions.html
Tutorial and relay info
http://www.verticalvisions.com/tipm-repair-service-fuel-pump-relay.html

Also you can search youtube and I followed along with the video for removal so I had a guide the whole time.

Hope this helps!!!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Take off your Gas Cap & clean & inspect it, check the fuel filler neck too

May i suggest that you purchase a OEM Gas Cap from Mopar

You have a p0456 SMALL Evaporation Emissions System Leak
You also have p0457 Bad Fuel Cap
Hopefully your Ram will start up every time after replacing the cap

If you can find a garage that has a SMOKE MACHINE, it makes leaks easy to find

other possible things to look at
A small leak in any of the EVAP hoses or fuel tank hoses
A small leak in the purge valve or vent valve, Purge Valve is quite common
The EVAP Canister may be leaking

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0456

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuJZ4xrxE68

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been having trouble for the past year starting my 2011 1500 also. I turn the key and it just keeps cranking until i turn off the key. I took it into the dealer and they said the battery needed replaced. Replaced the battery and same problem. Brought it in a few Months ago and they reset the TPIM. Seemed like it worked for a while but started having the same problem. It will start after the 3-6 time of re-starting. Now, for the second time i went out to start my truck and it won't turn over at all. It happened twice while at work and now this morning at home. It will start when jumped by the tow truck. Im frustrated. Battery is only six Months old. Im having it towed to the dealer. Not sure if this is a different problem than above. Any suggestions? I have lost confidence in the Dodge Dealer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you tried repla ing the cam sensor? I had the exact same problem on my 5.7l. and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Replaced it and haven't had the problem since. Its 10$ at Autozone. Replace the crank sensor to for good measure, 8$! From what ive heard and read the cam sensor goes out about every 50k. So replace as preventative maintenance accordingly. Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Cam sensors do not go out every 50k, at least on Hemis. They should last much longer

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah, they should! But when they dont you replace them! Just like any other part! Water pumps should last longer than 60k. But why did i replace mine at 60k? Cuz it was worn out. Cam sensors are 10 bucks. Cant hurt to replace it. Worked for me..

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
Yeah I'm still on my original water pump too

·
Premium Member
34,751 Posts
I have the cranking fine but no start problem. Funny thing is, if I remote start it from my key fob it starts every time.

That makes it sound like the ignition switch

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had an issue like that with my ram. It progressively got worse over time. It end up being a starting relay. I can’t eemember the exact name.
But the relay is on a circuit board that was $800 dealer cost.
They bypassed the board relay and wired an external relay.
I haven’t had an issue since. And it’s been a few yrs now.
The dealer charged me freakin $600 buck to do the bypass. They used a simple $20 auto store relay.

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
1,587 Posts
I have the cranking fine but no start problem. Funny thing is, if I remote start it from my key fob it starts every time.
That is a definite giveaway that it is the fuel pump relay in the TIPM. Remote Start uses less power from the electrical system so the faulty relay gets a better supply. Below is a user friendly easy solution, for $130. Compared to $1000 or more from the dealer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts