DODGE RAM FORUM banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
That is a definite giveaway that it is the fuel pump relay in the TIPM. Remote Start uses less power from the electrical system so the faulty relay gets a better supply. Below is a user friendly easy solution, for $130. Compared to $1000 or more from the dealer.

100% agree. Had this exact issue with my 2011 4.7. Intermittant start, got much worse in cold weather. Dealer swapped out (in the following order) 1) battery @ $250 2) fuel pump @ $800 3) Engine Computer @ $1200. None of these solutions helped, and cost me over $2k in parts and labor here in Canada.

Turns out it was the fuel pump relay in the FICM (fusebox) all along. You would have thought they would have checked the fuses and relays first, but that's a big nope - just start throwing expensive parts at it and use a shop vac to empty my wallet.

In the 2011s, these relays are soldered right to the board, so they can't be replaced easily. The bottom of the plastic box has openings that let water in, then corrosion on the FICM starts, and it's all bad from there. While FCA did recognize this as a problem, and did issue a TSB for warranty repair (the dealer will drill a hole in the FICM cover and add an external relay), for some reason the RAM is not covered; only the Durango and the Grand Cherokee are, even though ALL these models (including the RAM 1500s with the 4.7, as well as 2500s with the gas engine) all share the exact same FICM. You can feel free to check out the part numbers if you think I'm bullshitting.

Here's the recall: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2014/RCRIT-14V530-6412.pdf

I got the the VerticalVisions cheap ($39) wire jumper, and while it solved the starting problem immediately, I was getting weird dash warning lights. Switched to the $139 VertVisions board, and now everything works perfect, and truck has run fine for 10 months now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So many different issues smh I have a 2018 ram 1500 st hemi I just got it about a month ago in the mornings it starts fine but eventually it’s starts giving me problems when I try and start it also notice if it’s hot out it will give me problems when it does it will crank over no problem but will not start sometimes have to try 3 times sometimes it cranks over and over for a few seconds and other times it starts and dies. When it does start it seems to drive fine no rpm movement when sitting no shake no misfire I did just have the fuel pump changed there was a code on dash I got the dealership to take care of so that’s new and seems to be running I can hear it when I turn the key there are no codes on the dash except when I turn the key the check engine light stays on until I start it then it’s gone any suggestions what it might be

·
Registered
1 Posts
guys, been having a problem once in a blue moon when i turn the key or remote start the truck it cranks but wont start. i turn the key off then try again and starts right up. any idea's why this is happening?:4-dontknow: my brothers truck does the same thing! both are 2011 1500 sport . im taking it to the dealer on thursday to get it checked out but i don't trust they will find the issue
Did you ever find out what's going on? I'm having the same issue with my 09 dodge ram 5.7. Sometimes cranks right up and go to start it later on it only cranks so I turn the key off and go to start it and it starts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever find out what's going on? I'm having the same issue with my 09 dodge ram 5.7. Sometimes cranks right up and go to start it later on it only cranks so I turn the key off and go to start it and it starts.
I am in the same boat and I haven't been able to get an idea of what is causing it yet. Seems to do this more often when it is hot outside and the truck has been ran and then has sat a couple of hours. I have a friend who is also having very similar starting issues as well without any success in repairing it.

·
Premium Member
2008 Ram 3/4t blacked out , tuned .
30 Posts
The only time that I have ever had a problem with starting my truck is when I was either attempting to use a key (fob) not programmed to do so OR when I had a non-programmed key fob near the ignition at the time , ( a wrong key / fob was in the center console and being detected as such) this threw a code w/o an alert chime nor a chime. I can’t remember the # but it read as
‘immobilizer key detected’ .

Whenever the truck won’t start but will turnover, this is the first thing I check b/c to check it is easy , fast and something that should be eliminated as the problem for your truck not starting.

·
Registered
2012 Crew Cab SLT 4x4 5.7 Hemi
1,593 Posts
@Riquelme1990
@jkwatts128
@sspence

need to look at this bypass for the fuel pump relay that is mounted inside of the under hood TIPM (main fuse/relay box)

Your symptoms are exactly the same as I and many others were having. Random crank/no-start and start/die cycles. No dash warnings with it.
I bought the temporary simple bypass cable from them to verify and then upgraded to the more permanent option. At about 10% of the cost of a whole new TIPM unit. Which they also offer repair services if you can have your truck down that long.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts