DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this happened to me today, drove in the snow, came home put the truck in park, it went into park but the EVIC was reading reverse. I spent about 30 min trying to figure it out, went out pushed the truck to see if it would roll(it wouldnt so i know it was in park). With no other ideas and thinking it was just the computer that was wrong, I reset the comp and now everything is good except I am not getting the lightning bolt. Did I do something wrong? What would you have done? Should I get it checked out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
What did the PRND display look like? R would have been in red, but were the other letters (P, N, and D) shown in white letters, or green?

I'm betting they were in green, and if so, then you have a Transmission Range Sensor Rationality fault (P0706). This means that your TRS (in the transmission) was giving an invalid code (i.e. one that does not correspond to any valid PRNDL position). There are five (5) pins (circuits) in the TRS, so if one goes bad then you can get flaky readings (and the P0706 fault).

When there is an invalid PRNDL code, the dash turns ALL of the PRNDL positions "ON". In older models, there would be a circle (or box) around the current PRNDL position, so with an invalid code, ALL the positions would be "boxed". But in the newer models, the letters are white, except for the one position that is current. The current position is highlighted in green (for P, N, or D) or in red (for R). Unfortunately, this means that if you turn ALL the positions "on", it looks like Reverse (since R is red and all the others are green).

So I'm betting you have (or had) an invalid PRNDL code. Often these will disappear on their own. The vehicle should still be driveable, even with an invalid PRNDL code. But if you still have issues, and want to diagnose it, try this: Shift slowly through every gear position, and see whether you get a valid display in any position. This can help determine which pin(s) might be bad. Your dealer can also check it with a scan tool to see which pin(s) are bad. The problem is often a piece of debris on the code plate (inside the transmission) where the TRS pins ride. It can also be caused by a bad wire, or wiring connection. It could also be a defect within the TRS itself (the TRS is part of the solenoid assy), but this is RARE so if they want to throw a solenoid at it right off the bat, then they are probably not bothering to try to diagnose the real problem.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience, but again the truck should be perfectly driveable so if you continue to have problems get it checked when it's convenient for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fantastic answer and diagnosis/description. I love this place! :smileup:

What did the PRND display look like? R would have been in red, but were the other letters (P, N, and D) shown in white letters, or green?

I'm betting they were in green, and if so, then you have a Transmission Range Sensor Rationality fault (P0706). This means that your TRS (in the transmission) was giving an invalid code (i.e. one that does not correspond to any valid PRNDL position). There are five (5) pins (circuits) in the TRS, so if one goes bad then you can get flaky readings (and the P0706 fault).

When there is an invalid PRNDL code, the dash turns ALL of the PRNDL positions "ON". In older models, there would be a circle (or box) around the current PRNDL position, so with an invalid code, ALL the positions would be "boxed". But in the newer models, the letters are white, except for the one position that is current. The current position is highlighted in green (for P, N, or D) or in red (for R). Unfortunately, this means that if you turn ALL the positions "on", it looks like Reverse (since R is red and all the others are green).

So I'm betting you have (or had) an invalid PRNDL code. Often these will disappear on their own. The vehicle should still be driveable, even with an invalid PRNDL code. But if you still have issues, and want to diagnose it, try this: Shift slowly through every gear position, and see whether you get a valid display in any position. This can help determine which pin(s) might be bad. Your dealer can also check it with a scan tool to see which pin(s) are bad. The problem is often a piece of debris on the code plate (inside the transmission) where the TRS pins ride. It can also be caused by a bad wire, or wiring connection. It could also be a defect within the TRS itself (the TRS is part of the solenoid assy), but this is RARE so if they want to throw a solenoid at it right off the bat, then they are probably not bothering to try to diagnose the real problem.

Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience, but again the truck should be perfectly driveable so if you continue to have problems get it checked when it's convenient for you.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts

HOT DAMN! Rep Points for that. You, sir, Run circles around me in the transmission arena all day long:LOL:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Wow that was impressive...feel somewhat inadequate after that! But yes I believe you are correct, everything is working fine now, but if anything happens I will let yall know!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts