DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BIG SYMPTOMS/ISSUES: Non-stop drip of coolant coming from the water pump (weephole I believe), coolant temp. gauge rises w/o dropping down to normal operating temp. at idle.

Hi, my truck had a slight leak at the water pump, so i went ahead and bought a new one from O' reilly's, even though it wasn't overheating. The radiator was junk due to it being clogged up with rust and deposits from the previous owner that I bought it from. The entire cooling system is brand new with thermostat, water pump, radiator, hoses etc. and it still overheats. I tried using the special yellow funnel to purge the air and no luck! When it idles, the temp gauge just keeps going up until I have to shut it off around the 3/4 mark before it hits the redline. I'm starting to think O' reilly's sold me a junk water pump because everytime I put coolant in the radiator coolant tank, I can see coolant drip out of the weephole! Way more than normal. Honestly, my old rusted up water pump did a better job than this new junk I got at O' Reilly's.

Please let me know of any advice you might have. Thank you

·
Registered
690 Posts
Do you notice more pressure than normal in the coolant system? If so it is a head gasket or warped head. You are leaking hot combustion into your coolant system. you need to do a leak down test.

On a lighter Idea if your running a bit out of time is can cause over heating.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hey there....sorry to hear about your troubles.

I had to replace the water pumps on a '99 and '00 Ram; one with the 360 and the other with the 318. Also, an '07 JK with the 3.8 liter. I replaced the first two myself. The Jeep was taken to a mechanic prior to have overheating problems (it was making a horrible noise). From what he told me the bearings prematurely fail in some Chrysler water pumps causing them to seize and the motor to overheat. Unless you know otherwise, O'reilly probably sold you a rebuilt unit. Nothing wrong with it and I could be wrong but I believe most of the units you'd buy in store would be rebuilt. Not sure how they function test them...not as easy to check as a starter that they could run a meter on at the counter.
You may have received a bad unit. I know it's a pain, but unless you want to keep throwing $$ at it I would take it back to them for another.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
BIG SYMPTOMS/ISSUES: Non-stop drip of coolant coming from the water pump (weephole I believe), coolant temp. gauge rises w/o dropping down to normal operating temp. at idle.

Hi, my truck had a slight leak at the water pump, so i went ahead and bought a new one from O' reilly's, even though it wasn't overheating. The radiator was junk due to it being clogged up with rust and deposits from the previous owner that I bought it from. The entire cooling system is brand new with thermostat, water pump, radiator, hoses etc. and it still overheats. I tried using the special yellow funnel to purge the air and no luck! When it idles, the temp gauge just keeps going up until I have to shut it off around the 3/4 mark before it hits the redline. I'm starting to think O' reilly's sold me a junk water pump because everytime I put coolant in the radiator coolant tank, I can see coolant drip out of the weephole! Way more than normal. Honestly, my old rusted up water pump did a better job than this new junk I got at O' Reilly's.

Please let me know of any advice you might have. Thank you
did you replace the timing cover to engine block gasket while you were replacing the water pump? if not.. time to pull it all back a part.. 9 times out of 10 on these magnums its not the water pump but a failed o ring behind the timing cover that causes water to come out the weep hole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
UPDATE: It's been a while.. the issue I found was that one of the bolts on the timing cover was not the correct OEM length and that bolt hole led into a coolant passageway in the engine block. I knew this because I found that collant would leak from this hole. Basically how I solved the problem 1) went ahead and put the original water pump back on, 2) got a longer bolt and used thread sealant 3) after reassembly I parked the truck up on a curb with the bleeder funnel, it still would overheat, but I would shut it off before it got too hot, came back when the engine was spoon cold and kept trying. Eventually the temp gauge would stop at normal operating temp. my truck runs and drives as sweet as a nut!

Thank ya'll for your advice it really does help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts