DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to think Dodge quality isn't what it use to be. I drive a 2014 Ram 1500 with 50,000 mms. Got my truck back from the dealer, I complained about a bunch of things. Clunking in the front end, I was told it was a bad lower ball joint. Replaced under warranty. Still hear clunking in front end. Sticking parking brake, not covered under warranty. I was told I needed new parking brake pads, rear rotors and new brake pads on all 4 wheels. Blower fan in cab is noisy and drives me nuts. When I slow down in town and speed up again the truck makes a sudden hard clunk, sounds like something is going to break, I was told it had to do with my brakes. All I know at this point is that if this is what Ram has to offer then I am going to trade my truck in for a GMC or a Ford. I have always loved Dodge, last truck was 2004 and a great truck. Maybe I got a lemon or maybe I am expecting to much from my truck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
some people just cant be happy. sounds more like maintenance issues not quality

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am starting to think Dodge quality isn't what it use to be. I drive a 2014 Ram 1500 with 50,000 mms. Got my truck back from the dealer, I complained about a bunch of things. Clunking in the front end, I was told it was a bad lower ball joint. Replaced under warranty. Still hear clunking in front end. Sticking parking brake, not covered under warranty. I was told I needed new parking brake pads, rear rotors and new brake pads on all 4 wheels. Blower fan in cab is noisy and drives me nuts. When I slow down in town and speed up again the truck makes a sudden hard clunk, sounds like something is going to break, I was told it had to do with my brakes. All I know at this point is that if this is what Ram has to offer then I am going to trade my truck in for a GMC or a Ford. I have always loved Dodge, last truck was 2004 and a great truck. Maybe I got a lemon or maybe I am expecting to much from my truck.

No you’re not expecting to much! I’ve had 4 rams and I’ve been pretty happy with all of them for the most part. The 2016 that I traded in had a trans that would always feel like I was being rear ended when I was stopiping, that’s been a common complaint among people with the 8 speed trans. However the 2017 I now have is done.

When you say slow down then speed up and you get a clunk, that sounds like it may be hill start assist, try turning that off. I had that happen on one of my Rams and it would do that and after turning it off it seemed to stop.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The clunk could be a few things, torque converter locking/unlocking, the trans could not be expecting you to accelerate that soon based on what you've taught it.

The front end clunk sounds like a misdiagnosed wear part-loose shock mount, worn bushing, tie rods...usually ball joints creak.

Sticking parking brake doesn't mean you need new brakes-that seems pretty self explanatory. Maybe a new hardware kit for the parking brake with adjusters and stuff. You'd need new rotors and pads if the truck didn't stop, and new shoes for the parking drum if it didn't hold the truck, but I'm on all the original parking brake hardware on my 13 at 80k miles-though I did replace disk brake pads around 75k.

Blower fans get louder with age.

To me it sounds like a buildup of stuff; the individual moles don't sound hard to whack

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,454 Posts
RAM quality has gotten better with the 4th gens. That's why I bought my late build 13. All your problems seem to be maintenance issues that built up so now it's gotten out of hand. But if you're that unhappy trade it for another brand. But all vehicles need proper maintenance. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2014...174K ... Brakes,Rotors and Tires... Thats it..
I run it hard everyday.. I would buy the new 1500 in a second if they made a regular cab.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I should be at 215-225K by then !!

Good grief, I just rolled 80k yesterday on my 13. Even if I hadn't spent 14 months deployed I'd still be well below that

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
My 16 has treated me well to 48,000 miles. I also got the MaxCare warranty, which by the way, unless I missed it, you won't find a similar warranty with Ford or GM. Ford seems to max out at 8 years or 150,000 miles. GM is 84 months and 100,000 miles.

IIRC, the loaner cars are covered only for a period of time and it depends on the work needed and time to complete the work.

It sounds odd to have those front end issues at your mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts