DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8. Within the past 6 months I have replaced both the 02 senors and catalytic converter. Today my truck started sputtering and running rough so I pulled over to have it stall on me. When I checked the codes manual off of the message board it through the code 0108 which was a bad MAP sensor. The truck was acting up as it should with a bad MAP sensor. I towed it home and replaced the MAP sensor. As soon as I ran it again after resetting the check engine light it starting acting up the same way except when the light can back on the error code was 0132 which is saying bad O2 sensors. So I ran the truck down the road once more and reset the check engine light again only for it to act up the same exact way as it did earlier, except it showed the 0108 code again referring back to the MAP sensor. Does ANYONE have any idea what the problem might be? We checked the MAP sensor to make sure it wasn't installed improperly. I am stumped.

RECAP: The trucks RPMs fluctuate up and down, there seems to be a slight rattle in the exhaust, and the check engine light comes on and has thrown two codes 0108 (MAP sensor) and 0132 (O2 sensor). Both of those parts were recently replaced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First thing I would do is check the plenum gasket. Unfortunately if the computer is saying the sensors are gone, you have to either replace them, or find a way to keep clearing the codes until you can diagnose what's causing them to foul. Some guys have had luck cleaning O2 sensors with lacquer thinner, but they are finicky and it isn't always successful. If you find the plenum gasket is gone (and I forgot how to check using the vacuum lines) you should decarb the engine using Seafoam. How many miles on the truck?

PS I found it, you don't really need the pressure gauge, you are able to feel + or - pressure with your finger. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G90ztJIaF0Y

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Sounds like a leak after the MAF allowing air to be drawn in. Does the exhaust smell fuel rich?

One way to check for a leak is to get a spray can of Gumout Carburator cleaner and after the MAF, start spraying each fitting and vacuum line. If the idle speeds up, you found your leak. Usually it's not just one leak, so fix one and keep on checking.

Also make sure you don't have any exhaust leaks from the manifold down to the O2 sensors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts